which lens are worth buying in manual focus.

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm building my wish list for my lens kit, and I'm wondering if it's worth getting a few older manual only copies of any of them. I was thinking it would be okay to do Mf Only on the macro lens, and on the wide angle for landscapes. Would that be a mistake? I figure since it seems standard to manually focus these situations anyways, that it wouldn't be a bad idea. Obviously the thought here is to get some less expensive gear in my kit to "tide me over" until I need/can afford the newer versions. What do you think? Will I miss my AF for these particular lens'?

One question you have to ask yourself is your cameras ability in MF.
I think Keith or Derrel has brought up many times in the past the split screens of older cameras. My AE-1, N80s and such had them. On my d7000 I nearly bought one of these --> Nikon D7000 Focusing Screen

But they don't make one for my d600. I wish they did because then I'd buy a couple nice AI-S lenses too.
Right now when I check focus I have to look real closely in the viewfinder for something that has alot of detail and focus on that .. assuming my eyes are participating good enough to do it lol

But I would like to get: 50mm/1.4m 85mm/1.4 and a couple of the big primes - 500mm 300mm 400mm on the cheap. They have this really weird oddity dual touch 50-300 f/4 lens too. I've also looked at the early tilt tilt/shift lenses.

One question you have to ask yourself is your cameras ability in MF.
I think Keith or Derrel has brought up many times in the past the split screens of older cameras. My AE-1, N80s and such had them. On my d7000 I nearly bought one of these --> Nikon D7000 Focusing Screen

But they don't make one for my d600. I wish they did because then I'd buy a couple nice AI-S lenses too.
Right now when I check focus I have to look real closely in the viewfinder for something that has alot of detail and focus on that .. assuming my eyes are participating good enough to do it lol

But I would like to get: 50mm/1.4m 85mm/1.4 and a couple of the big primes - 500mm 300mm 400mm on the cheap. They have this really weird oddity dual touch 50-300 f/4 lens too. I've also looked at the early tilt tilt/shift lenses.

Hmm... As far as I know, I can't get a focusing screen, but I CAN zoom in live view I believe.

Edit: looks like they make them now, but at 100$+ it may be more cost effective to just get an af lens...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back