Which Lens for D90?

the_martyr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to the forums and a first year photojournalism student looking for the ideal lens for my D90. Right now I am using an 18-55 3.5 kit lens and also a 55-200 4-5.6 kit lens, but am looking for something a little faster, and forgiving in low light conditions. Could anyone please recommend me something appropriate/affordable?

M

What range?

The faster zooms I've had include:

Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 is really nice but can only be found on the used market.

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is another one.

Both seem quite capable with the edge given to the Nikon I think. It's a push/pull which is kind of weird at first but you get used to it. For the price, new, the Tamron is pretty tough to beat though.

Last edited:
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM Macro. Excellent walk around lens for a crop sensor body. I have one for my D80 and it's very sharp, even at f/2.8.

The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is supposed to be excellent also, but I can't speak from personal experience.

Be prepared to spend a lot more than that on a good telephoto zoom. Recommended from me is the AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED.

Others will have to comment on the third party options for the long end. I've never used them.

thanks for the recommendations.. i'm going to check out those models. ill worry about the 200 later.

I have the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. its a great lens. I have heard the Tamron slightly beats it on Image quality but is not as quick or quiet in terms of focusing.

The 50mm f/1.8 is also a great lens. It can be had new for under 100bucks too....

Ive been using my kit lens from my D60 on my D90 but am stuck using manual focus only since the lens wont auto focus when on the 90. Im just going to recommend the 18-135 kit lens for the D90 since it is supposed to be one of the better kit lenses around. Cheaper to start with but versatile enough for most situations.

i hear that macro lenses are not good for photojournalism. can anyone clarify this for me?

For photojournalism I would think you'd want something longer than 50mm. You might be better served by something in the the longer range. I'd say a 35mm f1.8 for those areas where low light is needed and a Nikon 16-85 VR for those outdoor photojournalism shots. I'm always recommending the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 over the 16-85, but think in your case the 16-85 might be better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back