Which lens for new D90?

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On yesterday's thread I got a ton of help deciding on which camera. I think hands down the D90 won. My next question concerns the lens. I could go with the 18-105 kit lens but am wondering if I should skip that and move to something better right out of the gate. The range is okay for now so I'm talking more about the lens quality. I'll also need a wide angle lens since most of what I do involves wide landscape shots. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a pretty neat photo I took up in Elora Ontario last Saturday. C & C welcome.
Elora-001-EDIT.jpg

Congrats on your decision to go with the D90, you will love the camera and all it has to offer.

The 18-105 kit lens is really nice, and should serve you well - however if you want to skip that lens here's what I can offer based on my limited experience.

If you want an all around lens, my personal opinion is that the Sigma 18-250 just can't be beat (I've had 2 Nikon 18-200's and I like the Sigma better).

If you want some nice fast glass, maybe a 35mm f/1.8G or 50mm f/1.8D?

Not sure on your budget, but there's some nice wide zooms from Tokina, Tamron and of course Nikon available from $500 to $1000.

I have a Nikon 35-70 f/2.8D that is a pleasure to use and can be had for around $350 usually (used as they no longer make it).

I could probably handle about $350 to $550 CA each for my day to day lens and a wide angle. I'll probably pick up a prime lens too but I think I'd prefer something wider than 50mm or even 35mm.

What is your camera fund situation? That will really determine what lenses can be recommended. As you could get a recommendation from a $300 lens to a $2,500 lens.

It's best to start off with the best lenses. But if funding prevents that. Need to determine the price range of possible alternatives. It may be better to stick with the kit lens until maybe you know more about what you want to take pictures of. It may be better to stick with the kit lens than to buy a slightly better lens. Kit lenses offer a good value for what you get. No they are not perfect or nearly so. But they are a good decent lens to help people get started without breaking the bank. Then after some experience and use. You will better know what you need.

I could probably handle about $350 to $550 CA each for my day to day lens and a wide angle. I'll probably pick up a prime lens too but I think I'd prefer something wider than 50mm or even 35mm.

Ah, missed your reply.

With your budget you could get just the Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270. They would cover the wide and long needs. Now they are jack of all type lenses and have their faults. But they are good lenses. The main problem is they are slow. Meaning their largest apertures are fairly small.

One thing you might consider is sticking with the 18-105 kit lens. Getting a good tripod and head, a SB-600, and maybe the 50mm f/1.8. Or even 55-200 VR for longer range shots. The onboard camera flash is ok but the SB-600 would give you much better opportunities for good flash pictures.

Have you searched the forum for D90 sample shots? It might help to see output from end users. I think renting a lens when in doubt is a good idea before investing a lot of money. There's a lot of posts here as well on where to rent them.

Never considered renting a lens. That's not a bad idea. There are a handful of places in Toronto that rent equipment. Thanks.

I've head good things about Sigma. They make an 18-200 lens that's in my price range. That might be a good start. I'll have to do more research and read some reviews before pulling the trigger.

For what it's worth, I've had the Sigma 18-200 and it's nothing compared to the 18-250.

Dave ... there's a photography equipment renting place in Downtown that allows to you rent for 3 days for the price of 2. so if you want the lens for the weekend you're allowed to pick it up on Friday ;)

Headshots Rentals - Pro Photo, Rentals, and Sales

I spoke with their rep and they said they've just signed a deal with Sigma and pretty soon will start carrying Sigma lens to rent as well.

nice shot btw ... i like how the tree roots look. was there any PP done on this?

Thanks for the link. As for PP on my roots photo, yeah, a bit but not much really. It looks like it, though, doesn't it.

As for the 18-250 lens, I'll add it to my list of lenses to review.

Most reactions

Back