What's new

which lens is better

lisat009

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Ohio
Hello all, I just got a Nikon D7000 and I need a great lens for this body. I am torn between these 2 lenses, Nikon 85mm F1.8D and 50mm F1.4G. If you were to choose one, what lens do you prefer?

BTW, I shoot portraits, families, and I am a fan of Bokeh. :)

Is the 85mm is too long for portraits? is this considered as all around lens?

Thanks!
 
The "ideal" portrait lens is one that has some compression and good bokeh. On a crop sensor camera both the lenses you mentioned will do well. The 85 has more compression, which I prefer, but that, like everything else in life, is personal preference.

For me personally? I would never own a 50mm 1.4G, ever. I do however own a 50mm 1.8D, and the 85mm 1.8D, both excellent lenses. I have heard excellent things about the 50mm 1.4D as well, so eventually I may check one out. So between the two you mentioned, the 85mm 1.8D gets my vote.

Allan
 
I assume the 1.8/85 if you make portraits and you want nice bokeh. No, I wouldn't say 85mm on a x1.5 crop is too long for portraits. Not at all.
 
My 85 1.8 is my favorite portrait lens, but I also really like low light shots, so I frequently wish I had a 1.4 in my bag somewhere. Will likely remedy that one of these days.
 
85 FTW, however dont expect you would be able to shoot a baby laying on the floor while you are standing above the baby.
 
Quit goofing around and get both 1.8's. Shop around for the 85 and with what you save pick up the 50. Buy them both from same place and you may get a better deal.
-
Shoot well, Joe
 
85 1.8 has nice bokeh, but it may be a bit too long for "all purpose" lens
 
I had the 50mm f/1.8 for my D7000 and loved it. I got it for 4 year old grand daughter pics. If I had the 85mm I probably would have kept it. Sold the 50mm when I got my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.
 
Yay! excited for the 85mm f1.8..Thank you all for the replies! Yeah I heard that the 50mm 1.4D is great too, I am eyeing one on ebay :) also, I'd like to get the 35mm f1.8 for indoors and low light situations.
 
I'm an equipment person and I like to try everything. I don't keep things though, especially if I can minimize here or there. So, I had the 35mm f/1.8 too. I loved it. I haven't tried to figure out why or sought council but I really think it was sharper than my 50mm f/1.8D. I'm definitely a zoom person and am eager to expand wider and longer from my only lens, a mid.
 
I'm an equipment person and I like to try everything. I don't keep things though, especially if I can minimize here or there. So, I had the 35mm f/1.8 too. I loved it. I haven't tried to figure out why or sought council but I really think it was sharper than my 50mm f/1.8D. I'm definitely a zoom person and am eager to expand wider and longer from my only lens, a mid.

Yeah True the 35mm 1.8 is really great and sharper than the 50mm. my friend have that lens. really awesome! I also wan't a zoom lens but no budget for it right now.lol maybe on Christmas :)
 
I got Nikon 85 1.4 and as far as zoom range on crop body its nostalgic and brings back great memories of medium format where anything for 1/2 (rarely 2/3) length portrait to tight was shot with 150mm at about.
Best advice, is rent the lenses you want to by, try them out and buy the one you like better.
 
I'd opt for the new 1.8g; it's actually better optically then the 1.4g and much cheaper.
 
A few things to keep in mind, which may or may not affect your decision...

The 35mm 1.8g will not work on film or FX cameras, if you ever use anything other than DX you will have to replace the lens. All G series lenses will not work on film cameras, even if they will work on FX (example, the new 50mm 1.8G). D series lenses will work on film, DX and FX bodies. Now DX, G series and D series lenses may have other attributes as well that make one preferable to the other, but keep in mind what will work on what in case you ever wanted to switch to film, or switch to FX, so you do not have to sell your lens and buy something different.

Allan
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom