Which lens should I get?

Well that's the price on the current one from B&H so I would wager the new one is going to more than go past the 10K price point. It "might" lower the price of the former one if it comes out, but it might not and I've seen the price of previous versions actually go up when the new one hits. Thing is these are top performing lenses and even an update is often only a marginal update not a night and day difference. As a result when production stops there is still demand which drains out the stock fast and puts the price all the way up on what little stock remains.

I was thinking if I am getting the V.II now and V.III would be out in three months or so. I will lose quite a bit of money if want to get rid of it in a year or two. Just like other lens when version II came out then price of version I drop like crazy.

I know that you are considering a 200-400 but IMHO, a 70-200 f/2.8 would just about nail anything going on in the pool.

On a crop sensor, maybe.

But if you’re shooting full frame a 70-200 is far too short for most pools. You’ll be cropping in ALOT in final images.

Almost every pool I’ve ever shot in is DARK and therefore a 70-200 with converter or 200-400 f/4 will likely be too slow for the lighting. I’d be looking at either a 300 or 400 2.8 depending on which length suits you better when you try it out with your 100-400.

I was thinking if I am getting the V.II now and V.III would be out in three months or so. I will lose quite a bit of money if want to get rid of it in a year or two. Just like other lens when version II came out then price of version I drop like crazy.

I got the 70-200mm f2.8 IS before the recession and before the new version was launched. After the new version launched I sold my 70-200mm for pretty much the same price I'd bought it for new. Ergo its market value went up. The 400mm f2.8 MII would keep its value pretty well. Esp if the new version launches at a big price way above the current one. Heck I suspect the MI version for that lens still commands a good price tag on it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back