Which lens should I use for night sports photography?

TSLevin95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am having a tough decision deciding which lens to use for a high school soccer game tomorrow night. I am shooting with a Nikon D600 using a monopod. I will be right on the sidelines, as close to the action as possible. The two lenses are a 70-200 f2.8 with a 1.7x teleconverter, or an 80-400 f4.5-5.6 no teleconverter. The lighting on the field should be pretty good. Which lens should give me the most professional/sharp looking shots?

Also if I use the 1.7x teleconverter with the 70-200 f2.8, what will the change to the f-stops be?

Thanks in advanced!

The 1.7x converter costs a right at about 1.5 stops, so f/2.8 is gonna be f/4.8...which is a WASTE of the lens's capability on a FF, modern camera!!!

Do not bother with a TC under stadium lights with a new,modern Nikon body and pro glass---shoot with the 70-200 and crop-in later on the good shots. The 1.7x will compromise ALL the shots shot at the shorter lengths, and will only come into play above 200mm.

The Older Nikon 80-400 VR...I own that lens..it's mostly useless for night time sports action. The focus is very sketchy at night. Stick with the 70-200, minus any converters. You will have PLENTY of options from the sideline with the 70-200 used "straight". DO not be afraid to go up to ISO 3,200 or even higher in order to get the shutter speeds you really need.

The 1.7x converter costs a right at about 1.5 stops, so f/2.8 is gonna be f/4.8...which is a WASTE of the lens's capability on a FF, modern camera!!!

Do not bother with a TC under stadium lights with a new,modern Nikon body and pro glass---shoot with the 70-200 and crop-in later on the good shots. The 1.7x will compromise ALL the shots shot at the shorter lengths, and will only come into play above 200mm.

The Older Nikon 80-400 VR...I own that lens..it's mostly useless for night time sports action. The focus is very sketchy at night. Stick with the 70-200, minus any converters. You will have PLENTY of options from the sideline with the 70-200 used "straight". DO not be afraid to go up to ISO 3,200 or even higher in order to get the shutter speeds you really need.

Thank you! Just to let you know the 80-400 I have is the new one that came out a few weeks ago, should that make any difference? Or should I just stick with the 70-200?

Hi, I am a rodeo photographer and some of the arenas I shoot have very poor lighting. I have the canon 40D (for now) and I have the canon 70-250 mm f4.5-5.6 lens, and the canon 100-400 L series lens f4.5-5.6., and the canon 580EXii flash. I am new to this and trying to figure out what to do. Some photos have been too dark or too light. But the main issue has been that my photos have a slight haze to them, or the animal in the photo is clear but the person riding the animal is blurry. I am saving up to get a better camera and possibly more lenses, but for now I have to make due with what I have. Is there an adapter that will allow more light into my lens? Mine are both f4.5-5.6. I would appreciate any help at all! It's tough when you are teaching yourself and no one is willing to help you or give you any tips! Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
Bodie

Hi, I am a rodeo photographer and some of the arenas I shoot have very poor lighting. I have the canon 40D (for now) and I have the canon 70-250 mm f4.5-5.6 lens, and the canon 100-400 L series lens f4.5-5.6., and the canon 580EXii flash. I am new to this and trying to figure out what to do. Some photos have been too dark or too light. But the main issue has been that my photos have a slight haze to them, or the animal in the photo is clear but the person riding the animal is blurry. I am saving up to get a better camera and possibly more lenses, but for now I have to make due with what I have. Is there an adapter that will allow more light into my lens? Mine are both f4.5-5.6. I would appreciate any help at all! It's tough when you are teaching yourself and no one is willing to help you or give you any tips! Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
Bodie

start your own new thread so you get answers directly rather than jumping in here which will just mix things up.

In my experience, with a high resolution body like the D600, you'll lose more resolution by using a teleconverter, which degrades the IQ, than you do by cropping later. Also, when cropping later you don't give up any lens speed.

Most reactions

Back