Which Manfrotto head?

BAmereihn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a Manfrotto 055MFV today that came with a 700RC2 head on it. The head only tilts back and forth so I'd like one that has side to side as well. The heaviest set-up I'd have would be a D300s with a 70-200 2.8. A quick release plate is important. Which should I get and why?

There may be 25 or more different Manfrotto heads that would meet your needs, not to mention all the options from other companies.
Choosing a tripod head is a personal decision. There are plenty of 3-way heads, but you might also consider a ball head....maybe a pistol grip ball head etc.

thats my problem, so many choices, id like to stick with manfrotto just because i like stuff to be the same brand...the 498RC2 seems fitting with a decent price, what do you think

That looks like a nice compact ball head. It would certainly work.

My advice is to find a well stocked camera store and get your hands on a few different types. You may find that you a ball head is too random for you, and you might want the more precise adjustments of a 3-way head. Or maybe you will like the quick & easy adjustment of the ball head.

thats my problem, so many choices, id like to stick with manfrotto just because i like stuff to be the same brand...the 498RC2 seems fitting with a decent price, what do you think

I have the 498RC2 on my 055XPROB, and it rocks! Easy to adjust, steady as hell, compact and the price is right!

I have the 488 midi ball head and use it with my D300s/70-200 without problems, very solid build.

There may not really be one! I always thought they were damn similar! :lol:

EDIT: Looks like the 498 replaced the 488! :lol:

Ball head = quick adjustment via a single action
3 way = more precise with a separate lock for each axis.

As already mentioned, a very personal choice.

Then you have to consider options/features:
1) Max weight rating
2) Quick release plate
3) Tension adjustment

For me, I use both 3 way or Ball head depending on what I'm shooting. Quick release plate is a must (the same type for both heads for simplicity). For Ball heads, a tension adjustment is my preference.

322RC2 thats my favorite Manfrotto head so far.

Most reactions

Back