Which mid-range dslr should I buy?

SebRotzPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi friends,

I have been shooting with film (Contax RTS) for some time but I want to change to digital. I would appreciate your advice to buy a mid-range dslr. Searching the internet I saw the Nikon d7200 and the Canon eos 7d mark ii. Have anyone tested either of this cameras or have a better option in the same range of prize? Thanks for your answer.

Can of worms :)

Both excellent, Canon has better specs at a premium price.

Do you need 10fps? A more cost effective comparison would be the canon 70d vs the d7200

Have anyone tested either of this cameras or have a better option in the same range of prize?
Many of the members here have one of those cameras, but you can also check out the reviews online by doing a simple search.

BTW: Since any camera deal can have a range of prices, please be more specific as to what your budget is.

I shoot mostly wildlife but I would also try portraits. I guess that 10 fps is not that necesary for that. stock photography is also something i would like to try. my budget is arroud a thousand dollars.

Both Canon 7D II and Nikon D7200 are excellent cameras so you cant go wrong with either.
Canon 7D II is really a sports/wildlife beast, its dedicated at this and does a good job at that.
But I have a feeling what you are looking for is more of a general use camera and I think the D7200 is better at that.
First its cheaper then the 7D II
I also think its a more balanced camera, it has a better dynamic range and slightly sharper images as it has no AA filter in front of the sensor.

Well since you mentioned wildlife first, I would say the 7d mII is better suited for that even though it does not fit in the budget you mentioned. If you know what you are doing, you can easily produce portraits and general photography with it also. It's not like they dedicate a camera to one thing and that thing only.

I'm not sure that either the d7200 or 7d2 are in your budget. I'd seriously look at a Canon 70d and read a few reviews. It has a healthy 7 fps and a very good 19 cross pt focus system.

As an alternative I'd look at the Pentax k3, a very well specced camera that is going at a good price in places now as recently a mark 2 was released

For the record - for wildlife you will spend a LOT on glas, too. Because you will need a lot of focal length to compensate you will be standing far away. For example, the 100-400mm from Canon or the 80-400mm from Nikon both cost around 2k when new ? The new 200-500mm f5.6 from Nikon is also above 1k. The Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 was IIRC around 1k.

About the D7x00 line from Nikon:
The D7000 had nothing. A great general camera, but not specifically good at action.
The D7100 got the top AF of Nikon.
The D7200 added the necessary buffer.
The D7300 will probably finally get the fps, too, and then it will be a good action camera and finally replace the D300s. Sorta.

The Canon 7D2 is the top choice for APS-C cameras right now.

I cant recomment Pentax, the cameras are fine but the lenses are a problem.

Another tip I read recently from a photographer of that specialization: if you get a monopod for wildlife, make sure its black. White monopods will alert wildlife.

For the record - for wildlife you will spend a LOT on glas, too. Because you will need a lot of focal length to compensate you will be standing far away. For example, the 100-400mm from Canon or the 80-400mm from Nikon both cost around 2k when new ? The new 200-500mm f5.6 from Nikon is also above 1k. The Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 was IIRC around 1k.

The D7000 had nothing. A great general camera, but not specifically good at action.
The D7300 will probably finally get the fps, too, and then it will be a good action camera and finally replace the D300s. Sorta.

Another tip I read recently from a photographer of that specialization: if you get a monopod for wildlife, make sure its black. White monopods will alert wildlife.

I'd say you read a lot of reviews ;)

The d7000 was near the top of Nikons line a few short years ago. It was/is a camera capable of much and good at loads of things. Spec sheet numbers don't always tell the story
I'm coming in... by jaomul, on Flickr

The pentax k3 really looks like its struggling with wildlife here
Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks guys, your comments were really helpful. I haven’t taught about the glass!

I'd say you read a lot of reviews ;)

The d7000 was near the top of Nikons line a few short years ago. It was/is a camera capable of much and good at loads of things. Spec sheet numbers don't always tell the story
I'm coming in... by jaomul, on Flickr

The pentax k3 really looks like its struggling with wildlife here
Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I agree with this. I own a D7000 and it's fantastic. The D7x00 series of cameras for Nikon were the first to start offering options that at that time were only available on their "Pro" level DX bodies such as the D200 and D300.

Practice Practice Practice is the key. I have shot everything from portraits, to fast moving aircraft, to birds in flight, and my D7000 can do it all.

The Pentax K3 is very much equivalent to a D7100. Bit better in some respects, not as good as some others. People say their lens lineup is limited but up until very recently they have not had to satisfy full frame requirements so they do not have the duplication that canikon has.

Nor do they need to make image stabilised variants of their lenses due to in body shake reduction.

Additionally their weather sealing is exceptional. I own a D810 and a K3 and it's the camera that's a third of the price of the other I trust more in bad weather.

The only thing I can see where the Pentax isn't as good is the focus system. It's good. But not up to the latest Nikon (never used Canon to comment there).

Thanks guys, your comments were really helpful. I haven’t taught about the glass!

What lenses do you have now? Would you like to mimmick them on your digital system? Are you against buying used gear?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back