Which monopod should I get?

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting a monopod. The reason I want a monopod over a tripod is because tripods are annoying to have to lug around, especially when I might need it for only a shot or two. Monopods look a lot lighter and easier to carry around.

I want one to stabalize the camera to get shots like birds in flight while in low light. I've missed a lot of really nice low light shots because the shutter speed was too slow and I had camera shake.

But I've looked a monopods and I can't tell what the difference is. I've heard that Manfrotto is a very good brand, but they have many different monopod models, 790B, 679B, 681B.

What do I do?

Look at some carbon fiber monopods.

You should try, if it's in your budget, to get a head + monopod separately, or at least with a detachable head, so you can fit whatever head you want to it.

Pistol grips and ordinary heads are good. Ball heads get irritating on a monopod if it isn't a pistol.

I have the 679B with the with the 486RC2 ballhead. THe big difference is weight capacities. The 790 is the light weight at one kilo for load. The other two will hold 12 and 10 respectively. Also the 679 and, 681 are 1/4 and 3/8 screws. You can go to www.manfrotto.com for the comparisons, go the the camera supports accessories section to see them.

How tall are you? What do you want to mount on the monopod?

And do you prefer to be a little more mobile with a monopod?

Right now I have the Gitzo 'shorty', love it because of the tiny packaway size though, I am over 6' and the foot goes in my belt. If I can find a flagbearer's 'bucket' that will be the best.

In the past I had the Benbo Monopod, which was the only one that handled big guys, the surfing shot in my uploads was taken with an 800 on the Benbo. Problem/advantage is, it has only one joint, so, strong as you like and submersible up to 3 feet, but not too compact to carry.

The more sections a monopod has, the slower and more fiddly it is to get set up, but the smaller and more compact it is for toting around or strapping or lashing to something like a pack frame or gadget bag,etc.

And for kajiki--have you thought about a saltwater fisherman's "gimbal belt" or "fighting belt"? It is sort of like a flagbearer's bucket, only more stylish and more readily available wherever offshore fishing gear is sold. it is designed to firmly hold the butt of a saltwater standup rod right at belt level,and there's a small, 1/8 inch diameter rod that runs across the hole which holds a gimbal-butted tuna rod in position and prevents axial twisting when you get tired.

I personally use an old 2-section Bogen monopod, which is ideal both for seated use on stadium seating,and also great for stand-up use. I only have to manipulate the top lock for most height adjustments. Overall length collapsed though is longer than on more-modern,multi-section,multi-lock models.

How tall are you? What do you want to mount on the monopod?

And do you prefer to be a little more mobile with a monopod?

My main goal is to have one that is very mobile, small and easy to carry. My camera is a Canon 50D, and the heaviest lens I would use would be the Canon 70-300mm. I'm 5'7, so that would probably be the tallest it would need to go.

Youre going to have an issue finding a monopod that gets any higher than 65". Im also 5'7" and am having issues finding a monopod that gets that tall. I am looking into the Manfrotto 697B. It seems to be a great monopod.

Mark

Youre going to have an issue finding a monopod that gets any higher than 65". Im also 5'7" and am having issues finding a monopod that gets that tall. I am looking into the Manfrotto 697B. It seems to be a great monopod.

Mark
Im 5'7" as well and the 697 is more than high enough and, it folds down to about 2 feet. I hang it off my pack when Im hiking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back