Which Nikon lenses better for indoor Commencement/Graduation Photography Event

senanayakesps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own Nikon D7000 camera body and following nikon lenses. I would like to know what are the most suitable lenses for (indoor) commencement or graduation photography out of following nikon lenses. because I need to take some quality photographs my wife Phd commencement will be held coming december beginning. Please just let me know your valuable advice in advance.

I have following nikon lenses

Nikon 70-300 VR lens
Nikon 55-200 VR lens
Nikon 85mm 1.8 D lens
Nikon 18-70ED lens
Nikon 50mm 1.8 D lens
Nikon 35mm 1.8 G lens

I do not have speed flash light and I do not have an idea to purchase immediately.

I cannot expend more than thse lenses to purchase camera lenses. could you please just let me know what would be the best lens for my above event coverage?

your valueble ideas highly appreciated.

Last edited:
If you're using available light I'd suggest the 85 1.8 and a high ISO setting on the D7000

I shot an event last night with the 70-200 f2.8 and it was usually around 85mm, wide open at f2.8 iso between 2500-4000 with a D800

Of those lenses, I too would go with the 85mm f1.8 but that would fit in nicely with my gear. Not knowing what you have and assuming you have something like the 18-55 kit, I might be inclined to say the 55-200 might be a good choice.

I personally wouldn't but that lens since it is not a fast lens (f2.8 or<) but I fear with the 85mm you might not have enough reach at a commencement ceremony or enough room to back up for family shots after, assuming you're shooting the one lens all day.

Well, depending on how far away you are from the subject, and how large the subject is, the 35,the 50, or the 85 would ALL be quite good performers indoors, wither with flash, or without flash. Not sure if you are talking about posed, after-the-ceremony shots, or shots from the audience to the stage, but the 50 and 85 on a crop-body camera are actually kind of like short and medium, high-speed telephoto lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back