Which Nikon prime lens I should get

rainking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just wrote up a point on another thread regarding portrait lens, if interested look it over http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-weddings-portraits-advice-2.html#post2057553

The aperture ring was something we used back in the good old days. Today, you set it to f/22, lock it and do everything from w/in the body.

Not sure on your photog knowledge but if you're a beginner, I'd HIGHLY recommend learning photog techniques such as lighting, composition, basic processing, getting a flash somewhere in the mid of all this and THEN getting another lens.
glass doesn't produce good pictures, 8inches behind GLASS MOUNT makes GOOd pictures.

Why don't you set your current lens to 35mm and 50mm and the see which one (field of view) you prefer?

Also, for portrait type shots, I like longer focal length unless I am inside a small room.

I have both a 35mm F2 and the 50mm F1.8. I bought the 35mm F2 because I plan on going full frame in a year or so and would rather have that than the DX. I love the 35mm its on my camera 80% of the time.

the 35mm 1.8 gives very minimal vigneting on fx even wide open, works well as an fx lens. I have both lenses as well but only the 35mm afs with my d5000 so it stays on it 90% of the time, the 50 stays on my film cameras :) i have been thinking of getting the 50 1.4 but not sure if its going to be worth the extra $300

35mm and 50mm are pretty close in focal length, if u have an af motor go for the 50 if not go for the 35, just zoom with ur feet. Also the 35 has slightly harsher out of focus areas and the 50 is perfect focal length for portraits on dx.

Whichever one u go with u cant go wrong.

Most reactions

Back