Which Nikon wide angle lens would be the Best?

Stephanie Ann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am looking for an all around good wide angle lens, but I am not sure which one would be the best

AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED
AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED
AF Zoom-NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED

Welcome to the forum.

What camera do you have? If you have a camera with a DX sized sensor...you will probably want/need 10-14mm for a really wide angle. But if you have a full frame sensor (D700, D3) then 17-24mm would be plenty wide.

Welcome to the forum.

What camera do you have? If you have a camera with a DX sized sensor...you will probably want/need 10-14mm for a really wide angle. But if you have a full frame sensor (D700, D3) then 17-24mm would be plenty wide.

i have a nikon D40

Welcome to TPF!

Most of those are a lot of lens for that body...But if your willing to drop a couple grand on a lens then I guess your serious...lol

Out of those choices... I would chose the 17-35.... Great walk around lens and if you ever move to a full frame camera... It can move with you.

The 14-24 is also a great lens that can move to FF....but you can not put filters on it.

Cheers, joe

What's your budget? The 'best' lens for most applications will be very expensive.

Also, are you looking for an 'ultra wide angle' lens, or just something that is more for general 'walk-around' type shooting, but has a wide(ish) field of view?
Further to that, what lens(es) do you have now, and are you looking for a replacement (better quality) or just something wider?

For a new shooter with a D40, I would buy the AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED or the 12-24. Both of those two are true wide angle lenses on a D bodied Nikon like the D40.

The AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED will be your best bet from the lenses you have listed. The 14-24mm f/2.8G is THE best mainstream wide angle zoom on the market but it's almost $2k and you won't be quite as wide.

Take a look at the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM.

+1 itznfb. I use the Sigma 10-20mm on my D90 and it's an amazing lens. Widest of all, and as some said, delivers optical performance better than the Nikkor 12-24. Not to mention it's probably the cheapest of the bunch.

Most reactions

Back