Which option to buy?

sibebabe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok I have a dilemma! I need better editing software! I have Aperture love the Mac intergration but can no longer handle the limits on editing. I don't need much to edit clean edits shot in raw. A few brushes to touch up. I have desided that Adobe has so many brush and preset options also online free help! I have trialed lightroom and elements. Layers scare me I know when you understand them you have a whole new power in editing but I need to start slow! Aperture is all sliders and brushes. So the dilemma do I buy lightroom, elements or invest $20 a month for a year and try those two and Photoshop and then after a year make a better informed desision? I am a student so I get education cloud discount until end of nov. If I sign up soon. I know for $20 a month for a year I could buy elements and lightroom but it's easier to come up with $20 a mon then $80 a shot. And I'm afraid lightroom won't do enough, elements will be too over whelming that's why I think having access to both might be best!
So what's your experience? Love lightroom? Elements? Photoshop? All three? Using the cloud? I'm also worried I'll invest and the new version will come out. That is the advantage of the cloud! Thanks!

I use Lightroom for 90%+ of my edits. The only time I pull out Photoshop is if I need layers or have extensive cloning to do.

edit: I started out with a Macbook and used the (then available) Aperture trial. I liked it, but ultimately went with LR because that is what I was using in class, and I wanted to be consistent. I'm still with LR3, and really have no need to upgrade. I "lost" Photoshop when I switched from Mac to Windows (another story) and refuse to play the monthly charge game, but was able to get an older copy of elements. So far, it's been fine, except for panoramas, but there are other packages for that.

Last edited:
It's all you, Babe.

I/we have no idea what you'll need or use.
I have been a LR user since beta and PS since CS2 so I'm pretty convinced that good PPing is 50% of any final image.

I use LR for the bulk, and PS to tweak. (PS only if I need to clone something that LR can't handle, or anything more extensive)

I guess another good question is does anyone have any experience with the cloud?

I guess another good question is does anyone have any experience with the cloud?

I know they lowered the price for single apps. If anything just use the trial. Lightroom 5 is inexpensive.

I subscribe to CC.
I've been using Photoshop for 12 years and Lightroom since they launched LR 2.
Since I qualified for it, I took advantage of the Photoshop CC/LR $10 a month special offer.

Lightroom has 7 modules Lightroom is a professional grade application whose main function is image database management.
Lightroom is designed for photographers while Elements and CC are designed for use by all the graphic arts, including photography.
The Raw converter, image editing edit module in Lightroom is the Develop module.
The Develop module edit rendering engine is Adobe Camera Raw (ACR)

Elements is consumer grade and has about 30% of the capabilities Photoshop CC has.
Elements has a de-featured consumer versions of ACR, called logically enough - Camera Raw.

Photoshop CC has essentially the same ACR Lightroom has. Actually ACR has been a part of Photoshop since before Lightroom appeared.
There are some minor differences between Camera Raw and Lightroom's develop module, one being the look of the interface.

Your student discount CC rate of $20 a month ($50 a month retail) gets you access to the entire CC suite of applications.

• Creative Tools

photoshop_2x.png
    aftereffects_2x.png
    premierepro_2x.png
    indesign_2x.png
    flash_2x.png
    illustrator_2x.png
    fireworks_2x.png
    muse_2x.png
    dreamweaver_2x.png
    audition_2x.png
    speedgrade_2x.png
    prelude_2x.png
    lightroom_2x.png
    flashbuilder_2x.png
    gaming_2x.png
    acrobat_2x.png
    touchappsplugins.png
    incopy_2x.png

Edge Tools & Services

edge_animate_2x.png
    edge_code_2x.png
    edge_inspect_2x.png
    edge_reflow_2x.png
    edge_webfonts_2x.png
    typekit_2x.png
    pg_build_2x.png

Other Services

creativecloudstorage_2x.png
    businesscatalyst_2x.png
    story.png
    dps_2x.png
    behance_2x.png
    prosite_2x.png

Last edited:

I know they lowered the price for single apps. If anything just use the trial. Lightroom 5 is inexpensive.
IIRC, single app pricing from the beginning has been, and is still $20 a month.

There is a limited time offer (ends Dec 31, 2013) for those that have a valid license key for CS 3, 4, 5, or 6.
Qualifying for that offer gets you 2 applications - Photoshop CC and LR - for $10 a month.

Lightroom 5 can be purchased outside of CC, and includes a perpetual use license.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back