which paper to print bnw on?

tlamour

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Matte, Lustre, Mettalic, or glossy? I'm thinking matte. What do y'all think? BTW, I'll be printing from Adorama.

Matte or lustre. I'm not a huge fan of glossy, especially for sale or gallery work. It also would depend on the subject.

Glossy photographs show finger prints and glare but have good saturation and detail.

Matte photographs don't show as many finger prints, has little glare, but it has a diffused effect and it's textured so the contrast might not be as good as well as the detail.

I prefer matte paper for black and white images. The glare of the glossy paper is just irritating with b&w, because you kind of lose the advantages that you gain with color images. Sometimes the blacks seem blacker with glossy, but when the glare cuts through the blacks like a knife anyways, then the effect is kind of mute. PLUS; if you put the print behind glass then the glare is just enhanced.

Paper made for B&W images is best.

Like Kodak True B&W Photo Paper, because it offers rich black, continuous-tone prints, and avoids any tints of color over the life of the print.

Kodak True B&W Photo Papern has a matte finish, but many people have the print lab add a lustre coating that adds some sheen, UV light protection, and added resistance to fingerprints.

It depends on how you want the image to look. For most of what I do I prefer matte surface papers, but there are some things I wouldn't print on it. Generally an image having a major element one would expect to have a reflective surface, e.g., ice, glass, water, won't look as good on a matte surface. On the other hand, if there are rich textures and colors in an image matte paper often shows them off better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back