Which Photoshop?

Karen2582

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry for repeating this question....I didn't realize how many different versions there are of photoshop! Can anyone tell me the difference in cs3 and cs5. I need to purchase one or the other and can't decide!

Thanks

Not sure the diff, but if I did not have CS3 already and was looking to get PS, I would get CS5 with out thinking about CS3.

CS5 is the newest version of Photoshop. Before it was CS4, then CS3....you get the idea.

If you're going to buy the program, CS5 is well worth it, even for the content aware fill feature. It can do amazing things.

the difference in cs3 and cs5
It's like the difference between a 2005 Honda Accord and a 2010 Honda Accord.

CS5 is newer and has more options. :er:

You might also consider Photoshop Elements (whatever the latest version is). It does most of the things that Photoshop does, but at a much lower price.

I would also recommend Photoshop Elelements. It will do about 80% of what full-blown Photoshop will do for a heck of a lot less. OK, it can't do RGB to CMYK conversions, but your printer can always do them.

In terms of layers its fine for most jobs.

Steve Nichols
Author of "Better PR and Editorial Photography"
See Learn how to take editorial and PR images you can be proud of

(Insert bad advice here)

Last edited:
RIGHT, what kind of advice is that..........no wonder Adobe is so picky about their product.

Yeah, awful advice, but I can say that kind of thing because I'm in high school and have no risks involved. But gah, you're right. Some things should be left unsaid. I just think that the price difference is kind of ridiculous.. & with the range of students it's offered to I kind of question the intent of the student package... How many kindergarteners do you know that are photoshop prodigies and offer professional retouching services? I don't understand why a kindergarten child can buy photoshop for $200 :p It's clearly not aimed at the kindergartener as the target audience - it's aimed at the parent IMO

Yeah, awful advice, but I can say that kind of thing because I'm in high school and have no risks involved. But gah, you're right. Some things should be left unsaid. I just think that the price difference is kind of ridiculous.. & with the range of students it's offered to I kind of question the intent of the student package... How many kindergarteners do you know that are photoshop prodigies and offer professional retouching services? I don't understand why a kindergarten child can buy photoshop for $200 :p It's clearly not aimed at the kindergartener as the target audience - it's aimed at the parent IMO

Wait till college. CS5 for $20.

thats what my buddy picked it up for. of course according to the terms your supposed to remove the program when you your done with school. but somehow i think allot of people will forget to do that.

I have CS5 and I love it! :), the only downfall though, is that some of the presets that they had in CS3, like the lighting options, they are gone because CS5 is a 32 bit and it can only run on a 16 bit. And I didn't have CS3, so there's no way for me to get the lighting thing. but other than that CS5.

I would also recommend Photoshop Elelements. It will do about 80% of what full-blown Photoshop will do....
The 80% number is often touted, and from having used both, is clearly not close to being accurate.

Photoshop Elements has about 40% of the capabilites that Photoshop CS has, if that.

Consider that Elements comes with a very stripped down version of the standalone application ACR, has a near useless image browser (Elements has Organizer. CS has Bridge), cannot do 16-bit depth edits, and lacks a ton of the tool, layer, and feature options Photoshop has.

CS5 is a best version, i use this from last two months and really satisfied with this, updated version and nice future in there. you can try this, good one.

Most reactions

Back