Which prime lens?

giulio1993

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!
I'm looking for a nikon "normal lens" for my d3100.

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D seems really interesting in terms of sharpness and price (only 130$).

Also AF 50mm f/1.4 D seems good even though it's more than twice the price.

Looking the photos the focusing ring of the f/1.4 D seems better but it's just an impression

A good thing of these first two lenses is the aperture ring that allows to use the lens inverted for macro.

My camera hasn't a auto focusing motor so AF means manual focus.
Is it possible to shoot in manual focus with these lenses? I mean... how's the focusing ring?

I could also think about getting the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G DX that is cheap but what if I'll switch to an FX camera? I should use the DX mode :thumbdown:

Other lenses to be considered:
AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G that is the most expensive

What do you think?

Thanks!

get a a-fs lens

if your not shooting macro, manual focus is a pain.

I have the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D and I can vouch for it's value. For the price, it really is an amazing lens. And yes, manual focusing is great with it as well (my cameral also lacks an AF motor).

Can't talk about the 1.8 or the 1.4D, but the 1.4G is an awesome lens! Sharp, fast with very accurate autofocus on my D90. DoF is very narrow and pretty much always dead on wide open. Personally, I would like to have AF if I was you. Shooting wide open in manual... too much for me. Sorry for the hardcore MF fan, I'm lazy!:lol:

"Normal" for a crop body is going to be a 30mm or 35mm. 50mm on a crop body is actually telephoto. It's the bottom end of telephoto, but still telephoto.

Hi!
I'm looking for a nikon "normal lens" for my d3100.

I could also think about getting the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G DX that is cheap but what if I'll switch to an FX camera? I should use the DX mode :thumbdown:

What do you think?

Do that. 35mm. If you can't use it if and when you upgrade, big deal... it only costs what, $180? You could still sell it for almost that as long as it's not beat up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back