Which PS filter???

you want the KPT Equaliser 'plug-in'

its just like a graphic equaliser.

the pixel "radius" (i dont know what the right word is for this!) that you are interested in .. is like @8 pixels, or @ 16 pixels. I'm sure KPT's equaliser is free , out there somewhere. i use 5.5 PS , maybe theyve even incorporated this into newest PS. I cant imagine using PS without it - seriously!

Shark said:
Personally, I am not a fan of softening filters, but I know that when I start doing weddings and senior portraits, people are going to want soft-filter photos. I am a big fan of shooting 'raw' images and digitally doing what I want them to (converting to b&w, etc.). I feel it gives me greater flexibility.

My question is: Is there a PS filter that approximates a softening filter? Whenever I try any of the blur functions it looks just that--blurry. :?

kpte.jpg

Shark said:
Personally, I am not a fan of softening filters, but I know that when I start doing weddings and senior portraits, people are going to want soft-filter photos. I am a big fan of shooting 'raw' images and digitally doing what I want them to (converting to b&w, etc.). I feel it gives me greater flexibility.

My question is: Is there a PS filter that approximates a softening filter? Whenever I try any of the blur functions it looks just that--blurry. :?

Try this one - make a duplicate layer of your image and apply filter-distort-diffuse glow to the top layer, then alter the opacity of that layer (slider in the layers window) to let the bottom layer show through till you like the result.
It needs experimentation like everything, but I love it it for weddings.
For straight soft-focus, it`s the same tecnique but with gaussian blur instead.
Another variation that works well is to image-adjustment-invert (convert to negative) THEN apply blur or diffuse glow as above. This makes the shadows bleed into the lighter parts of the image when you re-invert it giving a reverse soft focus effect.

Most reactions

Back