What's new

Which QR plate did you choose for your tri-pod / camera - Lenses?

benhasajeep53 51

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
4,128
Reaction score
599
I have been using Manfrotto's 200PL plates for decades (including some knock off's). I initially thought they were better with the double locking system. And for decades I have never had an unintentional release. But I have also used some Arca Swiss type plates for my big lenses to use on Wimberly gimbal heads. I picked up a new SmallRig video head and have a new Neewer combo tripod (both for no cost to me). They are both Arca. I am thinking of possibly going all Arca and ordering bases for my current Manfrotto heads to change them to Arca.

What do you use for QR's (if you do), for how long, and why did you choose it? And maybe if you also changed styles?
 
I swapped out my Manny ball head with QR2 plates with one that has an Arc Swiss type. Then a couple plates and L bracket. I just wanted something a bit more standard. I guess I had the QR2's for three ir four years
 
I have also been using the Manfrotto 323 RC2 system for decades, including some knock offs. I am not planning on changing, because I have many custom-built items using them.
 
Kessler Quik release and plates. Arca type will fit, but not all of them. But Kessler has some nice plates that work great with their releases. Pricier than Arca. Kessler QR is a double-lock system. I switched after my Gitzo release failed on my Gitzo tripod.

the Kessler Kwik Release Receiver incorporates a two-stage engagement and safety locking system to keep gear secure:

  1. Primary Instant Latch (Drop-Gate Release): When an Arca-Swiss style plate is snapped into the receiver, a spring-loaded red locking bar instantly catches the plate with an audible click. In addition, safety stop pins on official Kessler plates prevent the plate from sliding completely out even before the main lever is closed.
  2. Secondary Cam-Lock Lever: Swinging the main locking lever fully shut engages a heavy-duty cam clamp (rated up to 65 lbs of clamping force), locking the plate tightly into place with zero movement or slip.
To remove the plate, the cam-lock lever must be opened completely, and the red spring bar must be manually pressed inward/downward to fully disengage the gate and release the plate.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom