Which Software

CNCO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and so far I enjoy visiting here daily(hourly) and learning new techniques about photography. I teach photoshop and I'll be honest HDR is new to me. I am wondering what my best option is for doing HDR?

Can I get a plug in for Photoshop CS4? I do not have Lightroom.

Should I just buy the full version of Photomatix?

I have Aperture version 1.5.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just saw this software Topaz Adjust???????

Topaz Adjust does some sort of tone mapping I think, but isn't HDR software (although it's effects do look HDRish).

Photomatix seems to be the favorite around here. It's what I use. Give the free trial a shot and see what you think.

i tried doing the free trial last night and had a tough time with it. basically i took an image into ps. then i adjusted an image to +1 and -1 with exposure. once i got there, i generated a hdr pic. any tips on how to get that video game effect?

i took an image into ps. then i adjusted an image to +1 and -1 with exposure. once i got there, i generated a hdr pic.

If you're using a RAW image you don't need to worry about adjusting the exposure in PS, you can just open the image directly in Photomatix. If you're not using a RAW image, you need 3 separate shots to generate an HDR - adjusting one jpeg won't work out well.

I use Photomatix, although I havent got to use it since I started shooting in RAW.

If you search there are a few threads that talk about this, I have Photomatix Pro, I hear its the best.

Photomatix Pro really shines when you shoot your series of exposures hand held. The software is the best one IMO that automatically lines the images up. Its also easy to use once you understand what each of the sliders does. Also once you get the look you like then you can save the settings and just process from then on tweaking once in a while for a photo with its own issues.

photomatix and then HDR photostudio 2, which has some features that the first doesn't. Many people who do terrific work with this type of photo, use more than one piece of software and in fact may run the image over and over again, tweaking each version slightly in photomatix, check out Ben willmore for one who has some interesting work , or Uwe Steinmuller.

i took an image into ps. then i adjusted an image to +1 and -1 with exposure. once i got there, i generated a hdr pic.

If you're using a RAW image you don't need to worry about adjusting the exposure in PS, you can just open the image directly in Photomatix. If you're not using a RAW image, you need 3 separate shots to generate an HDR - adjusting one jpeg won't work out well.

Then what do I do when it says that two images are needed? Also why do my images look so grainy?

people, taking one raw image and making 3 exposures is not HDR. For HDR you need an exposure range that is longer than that. I realize that many people do the 1 image, split it up "thing" but your missing a great deal of important information.

This is one cause of the noise as your focing a square peg into a round hole.

ON the other hand true HDR tends to be grainy if not carefully processed.

Then what do I do when it says that two images are needed? Also why do my images look so grainy?

You need at least 3 images IMO. I usually do -3,0,+3.

Are your images grainy before you edit? are you sharpening too much?
have an example?

I tried Dynamic Photo HDR and it was very good, but had its drawbacks. A (relatively) tiny preview window, and the deal breaker for me was that it replaced my EXIF data with advertisements for itself.

Photomatix is the industry standard, I believe. But just as important as HDR is tonemapping, which can be done in Photomatix and DP HDR, of course, but can also be done on non-HDR images.

Try out Topaz Adjust (30 day free trial). I've been playing with it and find it very nice so far.

I have a headache right now so I hope this makes as much sense as I mean it to :)

If you are a newbie in HDR field, I suggest you use HDR Darkroom, which is easy to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back