Which System? Why?

they look the same - Canon's own EF and EF-S mounts LOOK the same but they are not interchangeable. Have you tried actually physically fitting the Sigma to a full-frame camera?

I haven't, but like I said, the Canon manufactured EF-S lens indeed does look different, with a section of the lens protruding from the mount. If I get around to it when I'm home, I'll take a picture and the difference is very clear. There has also been a lot of discussion on other parts of the internet using the DC series of Sigma lenses on full-frame cameras -- its possible but not ideal.

That being said, it's really a moot point -- I don't have any plans to use it on a full-frame camera. If I do upgrade some day, I'd get a proper full frame zoom.

they look the same - Canon's own EF and EF-S mounts LOOK the same but they are not interchangeable. Have you tried actually physically fitting the Sigma to a full-frame camera?

I haven't, but like I said, the Canon manufactured EF-S lens indeed does look different, with a section of the lens protruding from the mount. If I get around to it when I'm home, I'll take a picture and the difference is very clear. There has also been a lot of discussion on other parts of the internet using the DC series of Sigma lenses on full-frame cameras -- its possible but not ideal.

That being said, it's really a moot point -- I don't have any plans to use it on a full-frame camera. If I do upgrade some day, I'd get a proper full frame zoom.

Have you decided what you are going for yet?

Since the thing I'm primarily looking to deal with is ergonomics, I'm going to start by making a trip to the closest camera shop. It's a bit of hike, though. The only thing in the neighborhood is a Best Buy...and there selection seems to be very bottom and top heavy. Nothing really in the middle, and the associates who sell the cameras didn't seem to know much about them. It makes sense to look at Canons, but I'll probably look at the Nikons too. I think when considering lenses, I'll be priced out of the Sony market.

I think I still need to figure out what features I want otherwise -- whether I'd be happier with an entry-level full-frame or a crop camera that has more going on with it. That'll be one of the conversations I have the sales reps.

The information here has been great though, and its fascinating to hear about why people have chosen what they did.

As for camera brand loyalty this tends to come from three aspects:
1) Lack of understanding of the competing brands. People tend to get a fair idea of all the current brands when getting a new camera for the first time; thereafter they tend to focus on their brand and quickly lose touch with the others. It's just no longer important information so they can fast end up loyal just because they've no real idea what teh competition can do; does; or even its make and models.

I can attest to this. I used to sell cameras in my early 20s so I was privy on the strengths and weaknesses of all the camera manufacturers and model types. However, I've always been Canon loyal. As soon as I stopped selling them, I stopped keeping up to date. I keep enough up to date on the Canon system to help people buy equipment for that system, but other than that, I have the blinders on. It's pretty typical within a consumer's mentality. They have the loyalty to their brand and don't know or care to know about the competitors out there.

As for why I shoot Canon? My parents had an old AE-1. So when I went to look for a camera system to invest in during college, I was already biased towards Canon. I bought my first SLR which was film (Elan IIe). When I went to buy my DSLR, I did some research to see if I should switch to Nikon before I invested too much. I was mostly reaffirmed with my loyalty to Canon because I liked how all the EF lenses can go on either film or digital; just more compatible. I also felt more at home with how the cameras were laid out with the buttons, menus etc. I felt like the Canon's were built for me.

The bonus of Canon is that you can use their glass with the full frame Alphas while using a meta bones adapter and still retain some for of AF. I don't think they have one for Nikon. I wish.

Actually the only reason why there is a Canon EF to Sony FE adapter but not a Nikon F to Sony FE adapter is that the later arent ready yet.

(Or maybe they are now, I havent checked)

There are some prototypes flying around already of such adapters, though.

Most reactions

Back