Which to chose between these 3 bridge cameras?! Help please!

You're right. I guess I thought the OP might be in the same situation I was a while ago. Before my first DSLR I considered superzooms and I couldn't be happier that someone intervened and got me to invest in a DSLR system instead, but to each their own.

Yeah, but the only thing is he didn't ask for a DSLR. He asked, out of those cameras, which is better. It would be impossible to get that zoom range out od a DSLR with one lens that will still fit in any carry bag. hes clearly stated he doesn't want a DSLR. There's no reason to keep harping on it. Sorry if I used the wrong pronouns.

I just made the suggestion because price is an issue. The OP could get into a system for cheaper than those cameras. Especially since the OP wants to get into macro. I like the idea of fiilm as well. I wasn't harping, just looking at what the posted as their priorities.

I understand. I didn't mean to come off as being cross, so i sorry if I did. If he didn't list specific point and shoots, I'd be right there with you. :hugs:

I understand. I didn't mean to come off as being cross, so i sorry if I did. If he didn't list specific point and shoots, I'd be right there with you. :hugs:

Of course. If they would have listed compact in there priorities I might not have even posted!

Hi :)
I don't want a DSLR because I think it's too complex for me once I don't have experience and also I need something for my daily routine, but with quality...

I have the Canon SX30 IS, and love it. I moved up from their S5, to the SX10 and to the SX30. I've never seen or used the others, so I cannot comment on them. I also cannot see how anyone can comment on several cameras if they haven't used each one extensively to find out their good and bad points.

I also have a Canon DSLR (with 8 lenses), but the SX30 is the one that's with me most of the time. It, along with my Canon 430EX flash can do most of what I want to do casually. Small(ish) package in a small camera bag. I shoot birds and squirrels in our backyard with it, I can zoom in as close as I want with the 24-840 zoom, take macros, videos, use the special effects included, the shutter is silent for around animals. Use it for shooting our 2 year old grandson, mostly with flash and a Sto-Fen clone diffuser. The 24mm wide does come in handy, and using it with f/8 gives geat depth of field.

I assume the other cameras can do more or less the same. Pick any one of them and enjoy as I do!

I have the Canon SX30 IS, and love it. I moved up from their S5, to the SX10 and to the SX30. I've never seen or used the others, so I cannot comment on them. I also cannot see how anyone can comment on several cameras if they haven't used each one extensively to find out their good and bad points.

I also have a Canon DSLR (with 8 lenses), but the SX30 is the one that's with me most of the time. It, along with my Canon 430EX flash can do most of what I want to do casually. Small(ish) package in a small camera bag. I shoot birds and squirrels in our backyard with it, I can zoom in as close as I want with the 24-840 zoom, take macros, videos, use the special effects included, the shutter is silent for around animals. Use it for shooting our 2 year old grandson, mostly with flash and a Sto-Fen clone diffuser. The 24mm wide does come in handy, and using it with f/8 gives geat depth of field.

I assume the other cameras can do more or less the same. Pick any one of them and enjoy as I do!

Do you like the SX30? Does it have really nice color and quality? :)

At the risk of being flamed- this is why I suggested a D40 kit to the OP. It would probablt be easier to use than a point-and-shoot because of its added speed and flexibility. I see aspiring guitarists give up guitar because they start with an acoustic instead of an electric. You can usually afford to cheap out on an electric guitar, but cheap acoustics are simply dreadfull 9 times out of 10. You'll get painfully high action, buzzing frets, and a rough fingerboard.
Just some food for thought.

Yay i believe but I just want a simple thing with some quality. U know... for my daily routine photographs, for holidays... something that give me good results but is simple and not too big and which i can take to anywhere! I'm not investing a lot in it once I want it just for fun...

I'm examining ISO800 samples from Canon and Nikon. I prefer the Canon by a good margin.

Really? Ok, thanks a lot! :)
What about the Fuji? U never tried it?

Sorry... I should have posted which samples (I was busy at work):

www.image-resource.com

Click on compare images on the left pane. They have the Canon and Nikon you are interested in. For examining P&S, I like to look at the "still-life" samples at ISO 400 (commonly used) and ISO 800 (generally the point at which P&S sensors start to fall apart). Examine the top left corner at full resolution and look at texture/print of the napkins. Should give you an idea of how details are retained. Examine the dark win bottle and the area around the colored "fuzzy balls" towards the bottom of the frame. Should give you an idea of how the camera handles objects at the bottom of the exposure range. Typically there is a personal preference between features and how much noise reduction (cleaner less details) or how little noise reduction (more details) one likes.

Canon has done very well in the P&S realm from there bridge cameras to the higher end lead by the G-series and S95. Current selection is no exception. Nikon, while does really well in DSLR market, has been struggling in the P&S area. As for the fuji, I can't comment as I have never held or even seen samples. Sorry.

My personal preferences have been Canon and Panasonic... I have to admit little experience with bridge cameras. At that size, I gravitated towards micro 43 systems.

Last edited:
With that said, I have heard great things about all of these cameras, just don't expect great sharpness on the long end and any real low light performance without flash (the P500 does not have an accessory shoe, something to think about). If I were to choose one it would be the HS20EXR for its manual zoom ring, accessory shoe, and Fuji's reputation for building excellent bridge cameras.
Of course I would probably take an S95 over all of these as far as point and shoots go..

With that said, I have heard great things about all of these cameras, just don't expect great sharpness on the long end and any real low light performance without flash (the P500 does not have an accessory shoe, something to think about). If I were to choose one it would be the HS20EXR for its manual zoom ring, accessory shoe, and Fuji's reputation for building excellent bridge cameras.
Of course I would probably take an S95 over all of these as far as point and shoots go..

Yes, my first choice was the HS20! But then I watched this review (YouTube - ‪Fujifilm Finepix HS20 EXR Review‬‏) and he says that the manual zoom is like... uncomfortable to use...(well, hear him, I cant explain what he has said) :(

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

wooooooooooooooow the photos of the Nikon, specially the house poster are much more nitid and and the colours are more vivid (better contrast). I wasn't expecting it :s I'm more confuse now...

in the ISO800 nikon did a great job. Canon has a lot more white points in the pictures.
But I always thought the Canon would have a better image oO

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back