Which tripod head for the Gitzo 2530?

Kwak12r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was lucky enough for my g/f to gift me a Gitzo 2530 tripod!
I am know at odds which head to go with.
I am looking at a Really Right Stuff BH55, a Kirk BH-1 or a Bogen 468MGRC0.

I plan on getting a 400mm Canon 'L' lens soon thus the reason for looking at the more expensive heads that are on the market.

Any ideas/comments on the above choices, or any alternate suggestions?

Thanks!

I was lucky enough for my g/f to gift me a Gitzo 2530 tripod!
I am know at odds which head to go with.
I am looking at a Really Right Stuff BH55, a Kirk BH-1 or a Bogen 468MGRC0.

I plan on getting a 400mm Canon 'L' lens soon thus the reason for looking at the more expensive heads that are on the market.

Any ideas/comments on the above choices, or any alternate suggestions?

Thanks!

If it is strickly for the 400L the I would suggest this. Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Wimberley Head
Exactly what it is designed for.

If you want a head that can be used for the 400 and general work then I would suggest this.
Burzynski Tripod Head
Top it with a good Arca-swiss QR head. I prefer Kirk but the RRS is nice too.

If you read the bottom of this page it explains where to get the burzynski with out the high shipping.

Update: Pro Ball Head Review - compares ball heads to give sharper photos & solid video support

I have used the Wimberley heads, both the 1st and 2nd generation models. They are excellent, but too heavy for my taste. 4-5lbs in most respects, not including the plate.
I am quite impressed with the 4th Generation Design Mongoose heads. I have used their 2.5 version for medium telephoto lenses and plan on getting the 3.5 model for super-telephoto lenses. They are very high quality heads and weigh just over a pound.

4th Generation Designs - Welcome

I currently the new Gitzo Center Ballhead GH3780QR with my 400mm f/2.8L. It is an impressive piece of hardware. Supports 36 lbs at a 45 degree angle. Once locked down, it ain't movin'. Problem is, it's a ballhead and so a bit of care needs to be taken when using them with heavy gear to prevent flop. It is a stop-gap for now until i get the new head.

On a side note, I wish Gitzo would pay more attention in the Quality Control area of their products. They are well designed and engineered. Assembly is suspect; at least in my case. My GT2531EX Explorer came with a loose leg cam and the center ball-head has a slight binding in the panning section. Correctable, but I expect more when I fork out the premium bucks for a Gitzo.

I have used the Wimberley heads, both the 1st and 2nd generation models. They are excellent, but too heavy for my taste. 4-5lbs in most respects, not including the plate.
I am quite impressed with the 4th Generation Design Mongoose heads. I have used their 2.5 version for medium telephoto lenses and plan on getting the 3.5 model for super-telephoto lenses. They are very high quality heads and weigh just over a pound.

4th Generation Designs - Welcome

I currently the new Gitzo Center Ballhead GH3780QR with my 400mm f/2.8L. It is an impressive piece of hardware. Supports 36 lbs at a 45 degree angle. Once locked down, it ain't movin'.

Problem is, it's a ballhead and so a bit of care needs to be taken when using them with heavy gear to prevent flop. It is a stop-gap for now until i get the new head.
That is why I like the Burzynski. Loosen only one of the knobs and you don't get any camera flop, even with a 400 f2.8. It is also has one of the lowest centers of gravity of any ballhead around. If you like that style but want Gitzo then here is their version.
Gitzo

On a side note, I wish Gitzo would pay more attention in the Quality Control area of their products. They are well designed and engineered. Assembly is suspect; at least in my case. My GT2531EX Explorer came with a loose leg cam and the center ball-head has a slight binding in the panning section. Correctable, but I expect more when I fork out the premium bucks for a Gitzo.
Personally the weight of the Wimberley doesn't bother me. I don't lug it long distances. The generation II is definately an improvement over the orignal.

Most reactions

Back