Which Ultra-Wide Combination?

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going on a two week long intersession photography class with my university to Junction, Texas, which is a very rural, forest-y area.

Well, I have some extra cash to throw at some rented lust gear for the two weeks. I mean, it's not like I get to just take two weeks JUST TO TAKE PICTURES in an area that I wouldn't normally get to go to all the time.

So, my choices are either to rent a 5D Mark II with a 14mm f/2.8...

...or I can rent a 5D Mark II to use my 85mm and 24mm I rent the sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 to use with my 60D.

I just want to say that the ultra-wides will most likely be used for landscape, so I'm not too worried about the f-stop difference. Which would you choose? Is 8mm (12.8ish mm on 1.6x crop) too wide to be really applicable, or does it open up a lot more creative possibilities than the 16mm?

Last edited:
Is the 8-16 a fisheye? If so I'd nix that. Fisheye's are coolest when doing close ups. For big landscapes I would pick you 24L on a 5D2 and either your 70-200 or 100-400 for your 60D. And I would go ahead and throw that 85 in my pocket, just cause. If you want to rent a lens I would suggest whatever lens you think you'd be most likely to buy next. If that's the 16-35 (or 17-40) or what ever, give it whirl.

Edit: The reason I say take a telephoto, even though you're thinking landscape, is because if you go there with two bodies and two wide angle lenses you are bound to see some crazy ****.....off in the distance.

Well I was looking at the 85mm f/1.2 since there will be a few portraits shot, and experimenting with the f/1.2 would be fun, but it's just too impractical and expensive (even to rent).

The 8-16 is rectilinear. That's what's so interesting about it. Apparently it's the widest crop sensor lens ever. And I can't find a FF lens that's for Canon that is as wide as the 8mm is on a crop. I'm just curious whether the 1.2mm will be noticeable or not.

I would sacrifice the 1.2 mm to shoot on a full frame with a prime lens over shooting on a crop zoom for landscape

Yeah...damn...

Does anybody have a comparison between 12mm and 14mm? lol

Tokina 11-16 2.8 @ 699 has good ratings. Will mount on both 60d and Mark II. Mark II it will only work properly at 14-16mm (still plenty wide IMO). That is the lens I'm considering getting, just fyi.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back