Which ultrawide angle to go for?

biertje

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently use a 15-85 as my wide angle lens on a 760d.I've found that I take most of my landscape shots at 15mm and often want a bit more wideness.
I've narrowed it down to canon 10-22 or Tamron G2 10-24 HLD. As I'll be shooting mostly landscapes I don't have a need for a fixed 2.8 for example.

I had decided on the Canon 10-22 as it seemed to get slightly better reviews than the 10-18. I also preferred having manual focus override and the focus indicator over the IS. I can get both the Canon lenses second hand for the same price. The Tamron would be more expensive, but not dramatically so.
I will also be upgrading to the 90D and was concerned about iq issues using the 15year old canon on a high mp camera vs the newer Tamron.
I wondered if anyone had any experience with both the 10-22 and the 10-24 and could recommend which to go for.

Out of that two, I'd go for the Canon 10-20.

I personally mostly use the 17-40L on FF for landscape and sometimes the 24-105 or 70-200. Just depends the circumstances.

The Canon 10-22mm is a great lens, I used mine for years and it was my favorite lens. Centre sharpness is very good, though it does have a little distorsion and loses a little sharpness at the extreme corners.

Canon 10 22
Very nice lens if I remember , not used mine for two years, (don’t ask why)
There is some CA when wide open
I know you are aware but on your camera or the 90d you have times those numbers by 1.6 for the crop factor

many, many years ago i was using the sigma 10-20mm. at the time it was better than canon's offering and a few hundred cheaper. not sure if this is still the case a decade later.

Out of that two, I'd go for the Canon 10-20.

I personally mostly use the 17-40L on FF for landscape and sometimes the 24-105 or 70-200. Just depends the circumstances.

That 17-40 is one heck of a lens

B, I always suggest to go with the Canon corporate equipment. Every lens Canon makes is gonna be good enough but there are, for me, a couple reasons why I always go with the Canon lenses.
I don't know your status as a photographer but if you ever need your camera or lens worked on or need them trouble shot by Canon tech, you're outa luck with a 3rd party lens. If for any reason you need your camera calibrated to a lens, there is no way I would send my camera to Tamron or
Sigma or...
Lastly, if you get to the point where you wanna join or need CPS(Canon Professional Services) either as an Amateur or a Pro, you need to have enough Canon equipment to qualify. For me that is the BIGGEST reason. You'll have access to Canon Tech Support 24/365. That has saved my bacon many times on a Sunday shoot at 2am!!! I'd build on my CPS qualifying Lenses and cameras whenever possible.
Good luck with whatever lens you choose.
SS

Most reactions

Back