What's new

Which ultrawide angle to go for?

biertje

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 1, 2019
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently use a 15-85 as my wide angle lens on a 760d.I've found that I take most of my landscape shots at 15mm and often want a bit more wideness.
I've narrowed it down to canon 10-22 or Tamron G2 10-24 HLD. As I'll be shooting mostly landscapes I don't have a need for a fixed 2.8 for example.

I had decided on the Canon 10-22 as it seemed to get slightly better reviews than the 10-18. I also preferred having manual focus override and the focus indicator over the IS. I can get both the Canon lenses second hand for the same price. The Tamron would be more expensive, but not dramatically so.
I will also be upgrading to the 90D and was concerned about iq issues using the 15year old canon on a high mp camera vs the newer Tamron.
I wondered if anyone had any experience with both the 10-22 and the 10-24 and could recommend which to go for.
 
Out of that two, I'd go for the Canon 10-20.

I personally mostly use the 17-40L on FF for landscape and sometimes the 24-105 or 70-200. Just depends the circumstances.
 
The Canon 10-22mm is a great lens, I used mine for years and it was my favorite lens. Centre sharpness is very good, though it does have a little distorsion and loses a little sharpness at the extreme corners.
 
Canon 10 22
Very nice lens if I remember , not used mine for two years, (don’t ask why)
There is some CA when wide open
I know you are aware but on your camera or the 90d you have times those numbers by 1.6 for the crop factor
 
many, many years ago i was using the sigma 10-20mm. at the time it was better than canon's offering and a few hundred cheaper. not sure if this is still the case a decade later.
 
Out of that two, I'd go for the Canon 10-20.

I personally mostly use the 17-40L on FF for landscape and sometimes the 24-105 or 70-200. Just depends the circumstances.

That 17-40 is one heck of a lens
 
B, I always suggest to go with the Canon corporate equipment. Every lens Canon makes is gonna be good enough but there are, for me, a couple reasons why I always go with the Canon lenses.
I don't know your status as a photographer but if you ever need your camera or lens worked on or need them trouble shot by Canon tech, you're outa luck with a 3rd party lens. If for any reason you need your camera calibrated to a lens, there is no way I would send my camera to Tamron or
Sigma or...
Lastly, if you get to the point where you wanna join or need CPS(Canon Professional Services) either as an Amateur or a Pro, you need to have enough Canon equipment to qualify. For me that is the BIGGEST reason. You'll have access to Canon Tech Support 24/365. That has saved my bacon many times on a Sunday shoot at 2am!!! I'd build on my CPS qualifying Lenses and cameras whenever possible.
Good luck with whatever lens you choose.
SS
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom