Which wide-angle lens?

dafnis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Canon 350D and I would like to pose to you a question about lenses.
I currently own:
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
- Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8II

I want to expand my range of possibilities with a wide-angle lens.
I will use it mainly for landscape (natural and urban) and my key parameters are that it is suitable ALSO for low-light situation and a maximum of around €400 ($510 approx.)
I am considering the following lenses and I would appreciate a lot if you could let me know your experiences (pro's, con's, examples) and recommendations so I can make an informed decision when buying.
- Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM
- Canon EF 24mm f/2.8
- Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
- Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
- Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
- Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro
- Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro

Many thanks for your help!!

I don't have any of those lenses, so I can't comment on them specifically, but here is a good site for reviews:

www.fredmiranda.com

Why not look at something wider than the already wide 18mm you currently have, like the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM, or one in that range. Tamron and Canon also make similar lenses.

I was going to suggest the same thing... go wider than what you own. If you are doing landscapes, etc., you will need it. Landscape/nature work is a side of mine, my main focus is on portraits, so I didn't want to invest in a whole lot and got the 10-20 Sigma, and I really like it a LOT... with digital, because it multiplies your focal length compared to film, you definitely should stick with wider the better :)

20 mm lenses should be considered as 32 mm equivalents in terms of 1.6 crop factor.

You still may look at wider ones like Sigma 14/2.8 which is quite pricey or Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6. Just give it a try stopping down to F8. It usually works nice. Please keep in mind all Sigmas are a bit 'yellowish' (warm in picture color).

My reason to recommend these glasses is that they fit FF and film cameras as well. While special DSLR-ready lenses don't.

Just came across this thread and thought I'd chime in..

I bought the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 HSM for my 350XT and I'm suitably impressed. Good value for the money, esp. when compared to the EF-s 10-22.

If you can spare the coin, the Sigma 12-24 is a better lens still.

On a x1.6 sized sensor DSLR 28mm is pretty much normal. I have the Sigma 28mm f/1.8, and I really like, although it's huge. It'll close focus at about 4 cm.

18mm on a x1.6 sensor camera is close to 28mm with a 35mm SLR. For landscape I'd like something around that, or even wider.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back