Which would be the better wide angle for real estate shoots

Rickbb

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I’ve been asked to do some shots of houses for sale and need a wider lens than my 18mm. Was looking at these and wondered about which would be the better lens.

Anyone with experience on these? Would use on a D90.

1. Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 EX DC HSM AF Lens For Nikon APS-C DSLR {77} - With Caps And Hood - EX

2. Tamron 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Aspherical Di II IF LD AF Lens For Nikon APS-C DSLR {77} A13 - With Caps And Hood - EX

If it were me I'd be looking for a tilt shift for real estate. For pro work a Schneider lens would be top 1 or 2 for me.

Bear in mind that distortion at 10-20mm is rough, just going wider will fit the horizontals, but it will squish heights in the centre of the frame and have a bit of keystoning. DX isn't ideal though the wide angle filter in photoshop can be used to correct levels and the keystoneing

Unfortunately the pay offered, (and is apparently the going rate in these parts), is not enough to warrant much more than some higher quality snapshot type of photos. Even on the higher end homes the agents around here aren't offering more than $400 per home. So it's not likely to be enough to pay for a tilt shift lens. Especially since this would, at most, be a part time venture for me.

Which is why I was looking at a less expensive wide for the DX body. My 18 does not show any of these effects so was wondering how much a 10 to 20 on a DX would. Just looking for a lens that would cover most of a room in one shot, my 18 will take 2 at least. But the agent does like more shots from different angles. Don't know why, but she's the paying customer. lol Some of the lower end properties they have to sell is like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

There is a local guy that does the higher end properties and provides 30 to 50 stills, interior video with a stabilizing gimble and an external 360 video with a drone. then takes it all into PP to photoshop in images in fireplaces, tv screens, etc. And he only gets the $400 flat rate for it all.

I don't see how he makes any money with all the equipment, travel, and PP he does. I guess he banks on volume and repeat business.

Most reactions

Back