Which would you rather have

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would you rather have a Tamron 150-600mm G2 or a Sigma 150-600mm with the 1.4 converter?
I know the Sigma would give more reach, but would the image quality suffer so much that it would be better to do the Tamron and just crop?
I will be using this mostly on a Canon 80D or occasionally on a Canon SL1.

there's 2 sigma lenses, the contemporary and the sport. the sport is the better of the two lenses, and also more expensive. when i was looking at the 150-600mm lens most reviewers preferred the sigma contemporary over the tamron, but pretty much all of them said go for the sigma sport if you can afford it.

if you can crop with the tamron then you can also crop with the sigma. i wouldn't use a 1.4x teleconverter on any of these lenses.

Sigma, purely because I have one and as Nokk says in reviews it did better than the Tamron.

Sigma
Because I have the version 1 150 to 600 and a few other sigma lenses and don’t really want a third brand

As nokk said, there are two sigma lenses. But, the contemporary beats the G1, not the G2. The sport beats them all. This is echoed on many different sites.

The best 150-600mm lenses in 2021 | Digital Camera World

Don't use a teleconverter on any of these lenses. Save that for primes. I have the G1 and an 80d. Didn't have the money at the time for the G2. A friend let me try his and it was definitely faster, and better VC, just not sure on sharper. Had to micro focus adjust both lenses to be satisfied. Every Tamron lens I've owned had a front or back focusing issue on my Canons. Except the 90mm macro. Be prepared for that possibility.

I'm switching over to Nikon. Was saving for the G2. Found a Sigma 150-500mm for cheap. Tack sharp with no adjusting. If weight and/or budget is an issue, I would suggest one of these. Lost a little in focal length, and a bit slower but, super happy with it. Was going to sell it when I found a G2. Just can't. It's great for when I want to travel lighter. Then stumbled onto a Sigma sport for a steal. I did update the firmware on the d7100 and used the Sigma dock to update the lens firmware. They play very well together. No micro adjustments, so far. A heavy beast but, love it.

Check my sig. No BS, just my two cents.

As nokk said, there are two sigma lenses. But, the contemporary beats the G1, not the G2. The sport beats them all. This is echoed on many different sites.

good to know. when i was looking at these there was just the g1. ended up using the canon ef 100-400mm L with a 1.4x tc when necessary until i switched up completely to sony.

Sigma is your friend, the lower cost one from experience makes rather great photos.

The ONLY downside i think is that it does not reach out as far as i thought it would, but it makes a great photo.

I had the Tamron 150-600 G1 but, it was just too much for me to handle for any length of time. I ended up replacing it with a Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4 (the non vr version) that I use with a TC1.4ii. Together they make a 420mm f/5.6 that is more manageable and produces a lot more keepers than I ever got with the Tamron. Rent or borrow one of those monsters before you plunk down your hard earned cash. (jmho)

This is an operational comment.
The zoom ring on the Sigma zoom turns in the same direction as Canon zooms.
The zoom ring on the Tamron zoom turns in the OPPOSITE direction as Canon.
Depending on what you use it for, and how you zoom, this could make a difference.

Example, I shoot Nikon.
I borrowed a Canon with a Sigma 17-50/2.8 to shoot basketball.
I kept turning the zoom ring the wrong way, and kept loosing shots.
After 15 minutes of that, I put the Canon and Sigma away in frustration, and switched to my Nikon.
Later, I shot another basketball game with the Tamron 17-50/2.8. It was MUCH better, as the Tamron zoom ring turned in the same direction as my Nikon zooms.
So in a FAST moving situation, where I zoom by muscle memory, my zooms have to all turn in the SAME direction.
But in a casual situation, where time is not critical, if I turn the zoom ring the wrong way, so what, I just turn it the other way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back