white balance

I just wanted to pop in here and say thank you for those who answered to help out. Very informative and my workflow was soooo much easier today. My daughter came down to visit this weekend, she's 5, and I put her in the studio for a shoot, she has not had any real photos done of her yet. They regs came out nice and I am processing the raws now...with ease. I'll have some posted up later for c&c and advice.

I have also booked two more shoots next week and after earlier today as well....so this thread has really helped my workflow, time, and quality of images for my customers.

Thank you.

Here is a practice shot done before we got started. sooc jp, no editing....just a practice shot, and to my eyes...WB is good. Are my eyes deceiving me? or did I finally get the custom setting correct?

$399367_579247278755608_131108940_n.jpg

Here is a practice shot done before we got started. sooc jp, no editing....just a practice shot, and to my eyes...WB is good. Are my eyes deceiving me? or did I finally get the custom setting correct?

View attachment 26559

WB is good. It leans a tiny smidge yellow but that's appropriate for the subject.

Joe

Cool that you mention that, once I put up in LR and got to that image, I noticed that hint of yellow. I could have left it, but pulled it out anyway...amounted to -2 on the slider. Finally I can "see" lolol

Here is the final cut of that sample image.

8214891347_b2c1ea642b_o.jpg

ExpoDisk works the same way. Hold it up to, or click it into the front of your lens, turn off the AF, take a shot while aimed at the location where the subject will be, set the custom WB to that 'grey' imageless picture, and shoot away. I found this to be very effective where I was taking pictures at a small party in a restaurant banquet room with solid windows along one wall, dark walls on 2 sides, and windows to the adjoining banquet room, in use by another group. By taking 4 Expodisk shots 'up front', I simply selected the correct WB before shooting in each direction.

You're supposed to aim the lens with the Expodisk at the main light source, not the location of the subject. This is a common misconception. Precisely, you're supposed to stand at or next to where your subject will be standing, then aim it at the light source.

You're supposed to aim the lens with the Expodisk at the main light source, not the location of the subject. This is a common misconception. Precisely, you're supposed to stand at or next to where your subject will be standing, then aim it at the light source.
I seem to have mis-spoke(typed) referring to Expodisk usage. You are correct. Per the directions of how to use it, step #3, 'aim at the light source'. ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc Instructions

However...I interpret this somewhat differently. Rather than standing where the subject will be, aiming at a fixed light source (implying a single source), I stand where the subject will be and aim towards where I will be when taking the actual pictures. That way, the exact mix of light illuminating the subject(s) (from several sources, often not all one type) will be recorded as the WB frame, not a single incandescent, for example. Doing it this way saved the day with (cloudy) sunlight coming from one side of the room and several incandescents in the room several months ago.

Many thanks for catching my error, sam250240.

Most reactions

Back