White balance

EllaElla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Brand new to LR....I'm trying to change the white balance. I thought I'd seen a tool for it somewhere in LR, but now I can't seem to find it. I've figured out how to adjust the WB to custom, but I want to use the standard preset WB's that are in the camera. Can't you do that in LR?

You have as shot, Auto and Custom. As a custom setting you can move the sliders or use the eye dropper. Not sure what else you've seen.

If you are shooting in RAW, then you can change them to any of the ones you would use in camera. Such as cloudy, daylight, flash, tungsten, etc. If you are shooting in JPG, you only have the options of as shot, custom, or auto.

If you are shooting in RAW, then you can change them to any of the ones you would use in camera. Such as cloudy, daylight, flash, tungsten, etc. If you are shooting in JPG, you only have the options of as shot, custom, or auto.

Not sure if LR allows it, but you might even be able to set a specific color temperature.... 6217K, or 4882K or 7559K.

Not sure if LR allows it, but you might even be able to set a specific color temperature.... 6217K, or 4882K or 7559K.

Not that I know of. I could be wrong though, but that is pretty rare. :)

Not that I know of. I could be wrong though, but that is pretty rare. :)

LR4 lets you set the kelvin to whatever you desire.

UFRaw, an open-source freebie for GIMP:

My ViewNX 2 and Capture NX 2 both have the ability to do this as well, but to a lesser degree. They allow a variance of only a couple hundred K on either side of the recorded or set value. But I would be able to choose a WB setting near what I want (say, incandescent lighting), then adjust the WB from there. If I want a higher K value, I would choose Daylight, then make slight adjustments from that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you would like to gain an in-depth knowledge of Lightroom 4 and it's 7 modules, I highly recommend - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers

However with Lightroom open, just press the F1 key on your keyboard to access Adobe Community Help, or click on the Help tab and then Lightroom Help.

Here is a screen shot showing the location of the White Balance eye dropper tool in LR 4.
whitebalanceB_zps89e78c6f.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back