White-crowned Sparrow

Bo4key

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've really been on a bird kick lately. Here are a couple shots from last week. C&C is always appreciated!

1)White-crowned Sparrow by Boaketography, on Flickr

Aperture Priority
f/8.0
250 mm
ISO 200
1/320 sec

I like the color and bokeh of this shot and the catch light in the eye. It's cropped from original.

2)
White-crowned Sparrow by Boaketography, on Flickr

Aperture Priority
f/8.0
250 mm
ISO 200
1/400

I like the composition and bokeh in this one, I just wish there was more light in the eye to bring it out more.

I've gone back to shooting AE for most of my nature photography since this lens is sharpest (I've found) at f/8.0 and as long as I keep the ISO reasonable, the camera uses a fast enough shutter speed. These birds move so quickly that it gives me one less thing to think about and I can concentrate on getting the shot.

Thanks for looking!

A couple of nice images. I might suggest raising the ISO; I shoot birds with my T2i at 800 ISO as a base (with my 400L).
The 2nd image would work better with the lower 1/3 of the stump cropped.

thanks for sharing

Thanks for the input.

Just curious, why would you suggest upping the ISO? And what benefit would there be to doing so if my shutter speed is already high enough to avoid camera shake and to capture any movement?

Having your ISO at 100 is fine. The photos are pretty sharp, and your shutter speed is fast enough to reduce camera shake or lens sway at the long end of your lens. If the birds were in flight, and you wanted a faster shutter speed to freeze the action, that's when I'd shoot on a higher ISO.

I agree.. fine the way they are! I have seen your stuff.... if you needed a higher shutter speed, you would use it! :)

"These birds move so quickly"............

From my experience, a shutter speed of 1/500 is the very low range for birds. Even if they are not perceptibly moving, they are rarely still. It usually shows in enlargements; I print 13x19 regularly. The T2i has clean output up to about ISO 800.

"These birds move so quickly"............

From my experience, a shutter speed of 1/500 is the very low range for birds. Even if they are not perceptibly moving, they are rarely still. It usually shows in enlargements; I print 13x19 regularly. The T2i has clean output up to about ISO 800.

I'll keep that in mind, these seemed to turn out ok.

I like these as they are... I would not raise the ISO if not needed.

Of course these two images appear good here, that's not the point. Perhaps enlarged they may not.
But my point is that rather than regret that the bird moved, even so slightly, and the shutter speed was too slow to yield a sharp image, one can easily shoot at higher Tvs with most new DSLRs.
I know a lot of folks never intend to enlarge images to any degree or plan to exhibit them, but I have seen many images (and a few of my own!) just not work out when enlarged, and then it is too late to debate over whether to raise the ISO to get better images, especially when noise reduction is a part of a workflow plan.

Nice images - sharp and great colour. Thanks for sharing.

Of course these two images appear good here, that's not the point. Perhaps enlarged they may not.
But my point is that rather than regret that the bird moved, even so slightly, and the shutter speed was too slow to yield a sharp image, one can easily shoot at higher Tvs with most new DSLRs.
I know a lot of folks never intend to enlarge images to any degree or plan to exhibit them, but I have seen many images (and a few of my own!) just not work out when enlarged, and then it is too late to debate over whether to raise the ISO to get better images, especially when noise reduction is a part of a workflow plan.

I do agree with your assessment. Although if done a lot of research and reading into my hobby, I haven't come across this rule about 1/500 shutter speed. It's a good tip!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back