White Flower - Critique please

Atlanticfocus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone.

I am looking for feedback on composition and processing. This is my first time shooting in raw, and using UFRaw to adjust before processing in Gimp. Photography in general is a new hobby for me. I've included the original unedited jpeg and the final result.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
Lloyd
IMG_7952.JPG
White flower2.jpg

Your crop is OK, you got rid of the dead space.
Your colour processing is way to the blue side.

The lower leaf is sharper than the flower. I would have gone for getting the forward edge of the throat of the flower in best focus. You also have a lot of chromatic aberration on the top edge of the flower. This is no doubt the lens rather than processing - have you tried the lens correction tab in UFRaw?

By the way, UFRaw is an excellent raw converter - it uses DCRAW as its demosaicing engine which is the same as Rawtherapee uses.

Yeah, pretty 'cool' as far as tone. My eye saw a warmer image- something like this:
White flower2_dxo.jpg

I agree that the composition was very nice. Focus might have been more on the leaf below the flower rather than the flower itself, but seemed useable.

I warmed up the color temp, used healing tool to 'erase' the holes in the leaves', used a blur vignette filter and a few other tinkers btw.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who took the time to provide feedback.
I've reprocessed the raw image to something a little warmer (I did cool the first one intentionally, but understand the feedback).

This was the first time (now second) that I've used UFRaw, so it's going to take a bit of time to learn - I will look up some information on lens correction so I understand it better.

All the best.
Lloyd
White Flower Warm.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back