White Lightning Ultra 1200???

So it is possible for the slave to fire late?

I think it is possible. I couldn't tell you exactly what's happening, but I don't see why it couldn't be possible. If you want to find out if it is start slowing down your shutter speed until you get flash from the strobe in the shot. Start at 1/200 and keep taking shots until you see the strobe light. You'll probably get a black bar on the first shot you get some light in it from. That'll give you some sort of an idea to whether or not it is firing late, and how late it is firing.

Ok, I focused on the strobe in this picture. I took the picture and the flash fired (because I am still seeing spots) and yet the camera did not record the flash.

EXIF
Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D90
Image Date: 2010:11:23 17:41:21
Focal Length: 48.0mm (35mm equivalent: 72mm)
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: Yes (Manual, return light not detected)
Color Space: sRGB

DSC_0281.jpg

Eric, I'm lost, why are you trying to take a picture of the strobe itself??

You need to set the flash control to a MANUAL control level...say 1/16 power, MANUAL. That will cancel the pre-flash....the WL 1200 is sensing the pre-flash, and firing when the shutter is NOT open...

You do not want to fire a studio monolight using the camera as a commander....what you need is manual flash...the WL was developed years before the current Nikon multi-flash control protocols,and uses a simple, old-technology optical slave based purely on light from a simple "dumb" flash control protocol.

Bingo, Derrel! Thanks man.

Or put another way. White Lightnings don't speak Nikon (CLS).

Only the Nikon SB-R200, SB-600, SB-700, SB-800 and SB-900, speedlights function with a Nikon camera set to CLS Commander mode. Pages 234- 235, D90 Users Manual.

Most reactions

Back