White Lightning Ultra 1200???

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the chance to purchase one of these for $50. I have never used anything but my SB-600 flash. This is new territory for me, but a local photog, who is selling their studio, offered it to me. It seems to be in near perfect condition. Here are some pics... Advice? BigMike? Derrel?

4e0547bb.jpg

cf833754.jpg

Eric, WL are very good products. I own the 800 and couple 1600s
I am guessing these were probably replaced by the 1600 as I haven't seen the option to buy these on Paul C Buff's (same guy that makes Alien Bees) website. Paying $50, is a steal for this! I would just check the normal functions to make sure its in working condition. The bulbs and flash tubes can be purchased from paul c buff's website.

Do you have any specific concerns about them Eric?

I guess no specific concern. These are older lights. I don't think they are in production anymore. Everything seems to work; modeling light, test function, optical slave, flash tube, power slider.

Oh, for $50 it's definitely worth the purchase Eric! You can find replacement parts (bulbs, fuses, etc) from PCB's website easily. How many do they have available? I'd try to get 3-4 if they had available. I'd definitely buy them if I were you.

At $50/each, as long as they test okay, I would buy as many as I could get my hands on. Buff stuff is always at least decent or better.

$50??? YES!

My buddy has a set of these...older, yet still working fine, after multiple tip-overs and "Ooops!-es".

At $50/each, as long as they test okay, I would buy as many as I could get my hands on. Buff stuff is always at least decent or better.

My feelings EXACTLY! Hey if they have more than you need, hell I'll buy them off of them. Let me know shipping cost, I'll paypal you $$. I wouldn't mind having couple of them for backup :thumbup:

Thanks y'all. I actually think this was her last one, but I'll ask.

So I was testing it out with my D90 using commander mode with the pop up flash. Setting was f5 at 125. I get nothing but a black screen. The flash is firing but no exposure.

huh?? That isn't the light. something must be up with the camera. hmm do you have enough light? You may have to dial the light higher?

Still no. It's like the strobe is firing late. I took a picture of the actual flash while it was going off. It captures the modeling light but nothing else.

I think it still might be worth it, even if the optical slave is firing late. Can you try it with a cable or radio slave?

Still no. It's like the strobe is firing late. I took a picture of the actual flash while it was going off. It captures the modeling light but nothing else.

you tried to take a picture of the strobe firing?? :confused:

Do what Phiya said, try to use a cable. and not ur flash. Can you take a picture of something w/ the flash pointed toward it? Like use it on someone and take a shot and show us.

Most reactions

Back