White spots like rain on negatives

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by Leal, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Leal

Leal TPF Noob!

Update

Yesterday I've contacted Ilford and today they answered,

From looking at your images and the info you’ve provided, I can confirm your findings do unfortunately link to a statement we put on our website 02/03/20 – I’ve attached a link to it below in case its helpful.
    There isn’t anything I can see to indicate your processing is triggering the issue. But given the issue has unfortunately affected 2 different products / batches, I can only best guess that one of the triggers is the films have perhaps been subjected to heat. Not in your ownership of them – but perhaps whilst in transit or at the distributor / dealer / shop.

Your film serial numbers correlated to the below batches :-
    Delta 100 - 4507 - 59DTA1C02-2 (manufactured Nov 17).
    HP5 plus – 4524 – 67BHN1C01-2. (manufactured July 18).

They will send me new rolls and I will test my process to clear all doubts.

Thanks to everyone.
    Later I will make an update.

• Like Like x 2
  2. compur

compur Been spending a lot of time on here!

OMG! A real person at a company actually responded in an intelligent and responsible way to a customer's issue with one of its products.

I think I'm going to faint ...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Silversnapper

Silversnapper TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's great news, you have confirmed what I posted earlier, Ilford have shown excellent customer service.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I this is the very first time I have ever heard of this type of film manufacturing defect or imperfection. The way ilford responded is indeed commendable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pixeldawg1

Pixeldawg1 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would not use either the syringe or the stirring thing. You should actually invert your tank and rotate it at the same time, 1 second per inversion, which is a proper agitation technique for 5 seconds every 30 seconds. What you have described will give you some agitation, but not likely enough to develop the film correctly. If I were you, I would dump all of the chemistry, and really wash the chemical containers, reels, development tanks and anything else that you use that touches the chemistry thoroughly. Then, next time you develop, start by rapping the tank gently against the counter a few times, agitate the film properly use a water bath in between the developer and fixer (works as well as stop bath and does not introduce more chemicals into the process), then fill tank with fixer, rap gently but firmly to get rid of bubbles again, and ensure that the fixer is used for twice the amount of time it takes to clear the film. Again, the stainless tanks are MUCH better and I would recommend them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pixeldawg1

Pixeldawg1 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Same here. I have, in 45 years of darkroom work, only seen one instance of defective materials and that was a batch of Polycontrast paper, and never film. The tolerances for making film are such that it would be amazing that it even got out the door. Still good of them to respond so well. I would still recommend you do a significant cleaning of all your darkroom developing equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Leal

Leal TPF Noob!

@Silversnapper

Thank you for your help.

@Pixeldawg1,

Thank you once agan for all the advices.
    I will clean all my equipment and use fresh chemicals for the next developement and instead of the "stirring thing" i will invert the tank.
    I think this a learning process, i will keep shooting and develop.

@Derrel / compur

Yes, great customer service.
    I 've already forwarded the email to the shop where i bought the rolls, and asked them to verify if they have any roll with that serial number.

Thank you all for the help, tips and advices.
    I will post here the result of my next development, without issues (i hope).

Thanks.
    Ricardo

8. Peter Fowler

Peter Fowler TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Remember Kodak having the film number show on the negative ? I had a few rolls replaced for free , tri-x 400 . Peter