Who are your favorite photographers?

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Who are your favorite photographers? Who inspires you? Whose work do you look up to, or just greatly admire... and why?

I've been thinking about something lately, that I don't want to dive into just yet, because I don't' want to skew the answers given... but tell me who your favorites are. Doesn't have to be just one, and it doesn't have to be anyone famous. It can be someone you know, someone local to your area... or hell it could be someone famous. There's no limit.

Tell me their name, leave a link to their work, and if you're able to link to individual photos, link to a few of your favorite photos from their work and tell me why you love them.

I like folks on here because it's more personal and I can learn from them and interact. I can't exactly make dick jokes to some fancy celebrity photographer.

Kris Rowe - birds
Imagemaker - sports
Bitterjeweler - abstract
jsecord - landscape
Majeed - landscape
DanO - fashion (even when naked)
Lew - travel
Tuna - abstract
Mish- abstract
Limr (even though film)
And that rose lady ain't half bad. ;)
Those folks spring to mind.

My dad's parents. Neither one really was good at it, but they enjoyed it. So much so that I have over 1400 of my grandfathers' negatives, and nearly as many images taken by the grandmother.

Both, one way or another, taught me how to 'see'.

Zhang Jingna (NSFW), a brilliant fashion photographer. She's dones a series of photos that are very reminiscent of Yoshitaka Amano's illustraions, which are awesome. Fine Art · Beauty · Underwater · Fashion Photographer NYC, New York

Brittany Greeson, a photojournalist I got acquainted with last year. She does reportage and takes consistently engaging photographs that discuss pertinent sociopolitical issues: Brittany Greeson - Documentary Photographer - Home

Siegfried Hansen, humorous, clever street photography: Siegfried Hansen: German Street Photography

Jerod Foster, one of my professors from college. He takes really great editorial photos. Jerod Foster | Jerod Foster Photography

Probably some more, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.

Last edited:
I like folks on here because it's more personal and I can learn from them and interact. I can't exactly make dick jokes to some fancy celebrity photographer.

Kris Rowe - birds
Imagemaker - sports
Bitterjeweler - abstract
jsecord - landscape
Majeed - landscape
DanO - fashion (even when naked)
Lew - travel
Tuna - abstract
Mish- abstract
Limr (even though film)
And that rose lady ain't half bad. ;)
Those folks spring to mind.
I will copy this because I am lazy and agree. I would add Scatterbrained for product and still life. Pixelrabbit impresses me all the time.

Last edited:
Robin and Kathy for weddings.
Lambertpix auto racing/cars.

Last edited:
Photographers on the forum or in the industry in general?

I'll start with the industry:
Sue Bryce for her passion and business expertise.
Benjamin Von Wong for his amazing creativity.
Jose Villa for his unique style that has been copied over and over again.

That's about it. :)

Wow...so many people that I admire and go back and look at their work. Some are noted masters and others are people that I hope to be when I "grow up"...

--Andre Kertesz: I first fell in love with his landscapes but I would argue you can learn more about composition just by studying his photos than any other single photographer out there Andre Kertesz / Biography & Images - Atget Photography.com / Videos Books & Quotes

--David Douglas Duncan: one of the best conflict photographers anywhere, amazingly expressive photos, he was also a good friend of Picasso and produced some terrific casuals of PP and his entourage David Douglas Duncan

--Billy Monday: NSFW, terrific landscapes and human forms, very ephemeral and flowing Photographs by Billy Monday

--Joe McNally: if I had to pick one living photographer on this planet to go get a portrait of someone out of studio in their own environment and with just the gear he could carry, it would be this guy JOE MCNALLY PHOTOGRAPHY

--Lois Greenfield: simply put, her dancers FLY Ballet

--Lynne Brubaker: former super model turned photographer, her landscapes, marriage, and dog photography is sublime Lynne Brubaker Photography

--Waldemar Zagorski: NSFW, landscapes and fine art nudes http://wzagorski.com

--Jay Maisel: one of the best at using available light, amazingly practical advice, Recent Work by Jay Maisel

--Vinny Kim: NSFW, male model turned photographer My photographic journey..... — Photographer- Vinny Kim 3/11/15

--John Lehman: NSFW, landscapes, portraits, and human forms Windswept Photography’s albums | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

--Carol Guzy: amazing person, superb photojournalist, does a great job capturing humanity in events and tragedies Camera Works: Best of the Post - Carol Guzy (washingtonpost.com)

--Bill Brandt: NSFW, he believed that the photographer needed to see things that other people didn't...and his work, especially his nudes, demonstrates this. Collecting

Last edited:
1. Camden Thrasher- Far and away my favorite, Camden has an amazing eye for capturing more than just cars, but the whole picture of the sport- the intense singularity of purpose of the drivers and teams, the natural beauty of the surroundings, the sense of history where it applies, the speed and motion of it all. Dig into his blog in particular, and follow him on instagram to see his non-auto work, which is just as good.

2. Julien Mahiels - A real pro, with great access to my kinds of events- sports cars and vintage. Beautiful work.

3. Laurent Nivalle - A pervasive sense of style, which maybe infiltrates from his other topics in photography. Excellent post-production.

4. Jeremy Cliff - Commercial photographer with varied tastes, another great body of work.

5. Stefan Marjoram - Very much into old cars, pre-war stuff in particular. Stefan is an interesting character - an animator for Aardman and a sketch artist, who is also a buff on land-speed record cars of the past.

Last edited:
Kertesz. Just found that I can relate to him, I feel like I see things the way he did (well, remotely similar anyway, not that I can compare!).

For sports photography in general Sportsshooter; more specifically took a workshop with Dave Black (Workshop at the Ranch) and Rick Rickman (Pulitzer Prize winner) and I think I learned more in that one day than just about any other workshop I've ever taken. Don't follow them much now since I'm not actively doing sports/hockey these days.

I've always liked Ansel Adams and he was probably my first favorite photographer; I like old movie stills, nothing beats a good B&W photo. I like Brassai too, and Weegee, and have gotten interested in more early photographers and historic processes like Fox Talbot, and Steiglitz, Steichen and Strand. More recent, I follow Mark Osterman who does workshops at the Eastman House.

I have LOVED Jerry Uelsmann since high school. Its amazing what he was able to create pre photoshop.
Jerry Uelsmann

Im a little obsessed with Sue Bryce at the moment.
Trey Ratcliff is pretty phenomenal. Lars Leber is a local photographer. Sometimes I am in awe of his stuff... other times I have no idea what he was thinking...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back