Who knows DVD burners?

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Got a new DVD burner (internal) a week or so ago and am having issues. It's a Sony DVD+-RW / +-R / CD, so in theory it should do everything. Well it plays DVDs, but when I go to burn something, it burns between 10% and 20% of the DVD, then craps out with an error. I've tried forcing the drive speed lower, I've defragged my HD (I'm trying to use the drive to back up my photography files), I've gone into BIOS and set user settings to disable the DMA. Nothing seems to work. If anything, it's actually burning less of the DVD before erroring out now. Device manager says no problems, the driver is up to date, and of course WinXP's troubleshooting is utterly useless.

Any thoughts?

have you tried the dvd burning programs there are out there? Im no PC genius but a friend of mine got a vaio desktop with a dvd burner and couldnt burn anything till he installed some dvd burning software he downloaded (Ill have to ask where) but I know it works well now

Sorry I cant be more help :roll:

Sorry to hear your problems, DVD writers can be a pain.
I assume you've got the drive as master on the secondary IDE bus but if not make it so and if you've got anything else on that bus (spare hard drive, CD-ROM etc.) try removing it and try it with just the DVD writer on that bus.
I've heard some nasty stories about the reliability of the Sony drives so I hope that's not the problem
HTH.

perhaps you are using 1 IDE cable sperate to two devices
try to use 1 cable driectly connet to your DVD driver

Most reactions

New Topics

Back