Who needs film?

Tried this with a Brownie No.3 Box couple of years ago , few trial and error runs to figure out the exposure. No darkroom at the moment but lots of paper and some Dektol in a box in the garage. Hopeful to get something up and running out there for the Summer. Wonder if MG paper is receptive to yellow filters.

img178es.jpg

.......Wonder if MG paper is receptive to yellow filters.

Probably not. I figure printing paper is more like shooting film through a dark blue filter.

How did you determine exposure time? educated guess? Not that I won't just probably go by your exposure time to try it out (because I will).

Most photo paper I think has an ASA/ISO in single digits. I've been doing lumen prints and the paper is slow but then again, faster than it might seem, even with vintage expired paper that would be fogged.

I can handle it long enough to get out of the black paper in existing subdued room light but if it's a sunny day I have to be careful getting it out and set up on the table in the window (have managed to get an occasional image of my thumb!). But I haven't tried doing anything like photograms with fresh paper.

I used smaller pieces to start with. Enough to cover the 6x7 mask I made. I did 3 tests before I got close enough to try a full-size sheet, which turned out a bit light at 6 seconds. So I increased exposure to 11 seconds.

Great idea, I want to try it with my Kodak Tourist. The shutter is 1/50, approximately.

Phil

Last edited:
Paper negatives are a mainstay of large format pinhole cameras.

Too bad Ilford Direct Positive paper is so hard to find........ and expensive as all git-out if you do.

You should try x-ray film $32 for 100 sheets of 8x10 it's not sensitive to red light so you can develop it under red safe light and the safe light also makes it easy to cut to what ever size you need.

You can develop it with regular b&w film developer. Just be await that it has emulsion in both sides so it will use up developer faster and the negatives tend to be more dense. It also scratches easier then regular film.

8x10 in. Fuji X-Ray Film for 32.00

Most reactions

New Topics

Back