Who Said You Can't Work On Car's With Fancy Nails?

michaelpohl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I had a assignment for Delta Sports Magazine this morning and I figured since I have about 10 minutes until I have to leave for my next photo job that I'd share this because I absolutely love the shot (I'll have to share the rest later). This girl is 17 and has been racing for 12+ years. She builds all of her own cars, works on her own cars, and races her own cars at some of the local speedways. Prom was 2-3 weeks ago so she still has on her nails from it and I thought that the nails and oily hand would make for an awesome shot. Your thoughts? Edited in Lightroom CC only.

Nails-N-Oil by Michael Pohl, on Flickr

agree, its a very interesting shot (esp. with you background about her age, experience in racing and the prom) and would be a good as part of a series, woman in sport and not as window dressing

First, I have to say that I *love* the idea and what you saw here.
When I saw the thread title, I just KNEW it was going to be a picture of some sexy young thang with beautifully manicured nails STAGED as though she were working on a car, but mostly showing off her...uhh...headlights.
The fact that this is an actual young girl, who HAPPENS to have <mostly> manicured nails, but who is also very realistically up to her elbows in motor oil and engine parts--that just ROCKS.

I'm not that big a fan of the actual photo, though. There's not enough context for me to really GET from the photo why her hand looks like that, and having her hair and other hand in the background, without seeing any of the rest of her, just doesn't make the shot for me. The other OOF hand is particularly distracting, since the arm is covered up by the hair, so you don't even see where that hand is even coming from.

I'd like to see a shot that shows the girl AND enough of the car to see something of what she's doing, but with the manicured nails front and center as they are here.

First, I have to say that I *love* the idea and what you saw here.
I'm not that big a fan of the actual photo, though.

I would actually stage this shot so that the girl's nails are nicely done, these unfortunately look rather amateurishly done and that's the first impression I get.

I like that you shot this, what I see as the biggest concern, an important part of the image is missing, more of the car/engine that gives you a complete image without the caption that is required to explain it. I'd spend more time with her and believe that you would come up with a really great image.

Most reactions

Back