Who Shoots with a Sony

CBP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi There to all, i hope i have posted this in the correct section, anyway as the title say how many on here are shooting with a Sony camera? and how do you find it?

I'll start, i have a Sony Alpha 200 which i found to be a great starting camera, i will be looking soon to go up a step. I would buy another Sony however i have found that very few places stock the accessories for them so you can't just walk into a shop, get excited and buy the likes of a battery grip for it there and then. Whereas with Nikon or Canon i have noticed accessories are a lot more readily available.

My kit so far is :

Sony Alpha 200 - 10.2 MP
Sony 18 - 70mm / 3.5-5.6 Lens
Sigma 70 - 300mm / 1:4-5.6 APO DG Lens
Hoya 58mm UV filter
Hoya 55mm UV filter

My Brother in Law has a Sony and it takes nice pictures. I believe he has the full frame Sony (Alpha 900?). I never used it but now that I have a DSLR I just might ask to see it in action. He was fortunate in that he had lenses that fit his camera and worked. I have older Vivitar lenses for my Nikon and although they would fit none of the features on the new camera would work.

Like you said, when I was shopping I only saw a Sony in one place. The good news is with on-line merchants it's probably easy to get whatever you need if you know what you want.

Hi Vinny,

Yep woould be cool if you could find out more about the A900..... i have in the last week or so just started buying one or two photography mags and like you say there seems to be a lot of places that i can buy Sony gear from online.

I want to max out every angle of the A200 before i move onto a bigger camera with more features and less restrictive.

My wish list is as follows :

SonyRemote shutter control
Sony Vertical battery grip
Sony Spare battery
Sony Top mounted flash
Decent tripod - finding myself doing or wanting to do a lot of shots that need a tripod
Hoya 55mm Polarising filter
Hoya 55mm ND filter
Hoya 58mm " "
Hoya 55mm " "
Wide angle lens

I think by that stage i will be ready to move on to a bigger and better setup. Will hopefully be buying the filters and tripod within the next week or two....

Sony A700 - happy camper so far (have ot for quite a while now).

In terms of acessories / lenses - there is more and more out there that can be used by Sony DSLR's as well, so yeah - if your happy with Sony, my honest opinion - stick with it ;)

Sony A700 - happy camper so far (have ot for quite a while now).

In terms of acessories / lenses - there is more and more out there that can be used by Sony DSLR's as well, so yeah - if your happy with Sony, my honest opinion - stick with it ;)

I do love my Sony and find it very easy to use, the menu's are clear and easily navigate with very little possibility of getting lost. Since buying a couple of magazines i have noticed that accessories for the Sony are a much more a accessable. Could be very dangerous.....in fact it already is :) lol

I bought the a100 when it first came out and couldn't be happier with it. With the choice of using some of the old great minolta lenses you can get some great glass at reasonable prices. I do not like or use the 18-70 kit lens, but I replaced it with a Sigma 17-70 f2.8 and it is a great lens. I know some of the newer Sony's have a few things that my a100 doesn't have but I haven't found the need for them.

Hey Nod, good thinking with the Minolta Lens etc i had looked at that option....Hmmm interesting.

There really doesn't seem to be a lot of people shooting with Sony on here at all or is it my imagination??

:hail: Thank you, thank you, thank you! :wav::smileys:

You have restored my faith in the human race by not making your thread title, "Does anyone shoot with the Sony." :hug::

I just bought an A230 a couple of weeks ago. I love it so far, and can't find any faults with it. I caught it on sale, and got it for a really good price. I'm hoping to get a Minolta 35-80mm or 35-105 soon.

I don't think my B-I-L is a "photographer" per say. I think he wanted a nice camera, had the money and the lenses so he bought the Sony (not talking bad about Sony here!). I think the body alone was about $1500 or so. It's funny though my Sisiter In Law came over once and she bought a new P&S to make taking photos easier ... considering a DSLR can be an over the top P&S and she would have better lens and a full framed sensor - I had to wonder.

Hi Vinny,

Yep woould be cool if you could find out more about the A900..... i have in the last week or so just started buying one or two photography mags and like you say there seems to be a lot of places that i can buy Sony gear from online.

I want to max out every angle of the A200 before i move onto a bigger camera with more features and less restrictive.

My wish list is as follows :

SonyRemote shutter control
Sony Vertical battery grip
Sony Spare battery
Sony Top mounted flash
Decent tripod - finding myself doing or wanting to do a lot of shots that need a tripod
Hoya 55mm Polarising filter
Hoya 55mm ND filter
Hoya 58mm " "
Hoya 55mm " "
Wide angle lens

I think by that stage i will be ready to move on to a bigger and better setup. Will hopefully be buying the filters and tripod within the next week or two....

Sony Alpha a100.

I like it better than most of the newer Sony DSLR's ... there seems to be something about it that make it still more appealing than the new ones.
I would like to get an a700 or it's replacement (if it is APSC) ... skip the other new models ... maybe except for the a900.

Yes, additional battery is a must ... Tripod and/or Monopod with ball heads ... I have both.
Get good Minolta glass ... my Minolta AF 28-135mm is an awesome lens ... the AF 50mm f1.7 is a great lens also.

I have a Minolta Maxxum 9000 (with a split screen) for film shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back