Who wants to help me investigate some photo thieves?

Oh yeh.. also run your picture through tineye.com to see what other places might be hosting.

If it works, that's an awesome site.

From what I can tell, it only works if the picture is just being linked to from where ever you had it hosted.

If 'they' download your picture, then upload it somewhere else, tineye will never find it.

Tineye sounds useful, but it seems completely pointless to me. I can't even get it to find pictures that I have posted on TPF. I went through about 50 pictures on my flickr, and it only 'found' one. (That one was posted by me. I have posted hundreds of other pictures, but it couldn't find any of them.)

I know some of my pictures are being used elsewhere. I know where some of them are being used, and don't really have a problem with it. I'm sure there are others I don't know about...

I think tineye.com its a really great idea, but hampered by the shear size of the internet and the task it needs. I greatly suspect the reason it can't find many duplicate images is simply because its not caught up with the net. They need a massive investment in order that they can archive the entire net and then catch up to real time uploading. At that point it becomes the usefull weapon as it can then search the net in a more real time manner.

Oh yeh.. also run your picture through tineye.com to see what other places might be hosting.

If it works, that's an awesome site.

From what I can tell, it only works if the picture is just being linked to from where ever you had it hosted.

If 'they' download your picture, then upload it somewhere else, tineye will never find it.

Tineye sounds useful, but it seems completely pointless to me. I can't even get it to find pictures that I have posted on TPF. I went through about 50 pictures on my flickr, and it only 'found' one. (That one was posted by me. I have posted hundreds of other pictures, but it couldn't find any of them.)

I know some of my pictures are being used elsewhere. I know where some of them are being used, and don't really have a problem with it. I'm sure there are others I don't know about...

I don't think that's how it works at all, as it returns results of photos that are very similar to the one I searched, but not exact.

I don't think that's how it works at all, as it returns results of photos that are very similar to the one I searched, but not exact.

Interesting... I wonder why I can't get it to find any of my pictures...? Even ones that I KNOW are out there.

Like I said it has to first catalogue the image off the net in order to compare it to the one you show it. It's not a real time search of hte net, but rather a real time search of the net its archived and processed. Which is why new images online are more likley to slip through the net at the present - until they catch up and can update the newly appearing data its going to be hit and miss as to if it can find your images.

Most reactions

Back