Who would get the short end of this trade?

FocusDave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll be brief. Nikon 18-55 VR with some scratches on the body (glass is perfectly fine) for a Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4 that is in good condition. Using a D90.

Thanks!

Considering that I'm the one currently with the 18-55, I guess I'm doing all right. Why all the hate for the 18-55, though? I've heard that it's actually pretty sharp for a kit lens.

Its really not though.

Sell your 18-55 and pick up the Sigma 18-50/2.8D EX DC. I have one for sale if you're shooting Nikon. ;)

Mark

I use the 18-55 Nikon kit lens. Not the fastest tool in the shed but, it is sharp enough. I also have a 50mm f/1.8 and the elcheapo stands uP well compared to it. Yeah, it is plastic and all that but it functions great. Another elcheapo I have is my 28-80 f/3.5-f/5.6 full frame. It feels like crap but it is sharp as a tac....... Nikon really has it going on with their cheap stuff.

I'm not planning on purchasing any glass for a while, since I have no money. The first lenses I'm interested in getting are a fast prime lens and a super wide zoom (probably Tokina 11-16). Since neither the 18-55 or 28-105 fall into either of those categories, I figured the 28-105 is less likely to be redundant once I do get the lenses I want, since it covers a mild telephoto range.

sell the 18-55mm lens and buy a 50mm f1:1.8g, that's what I did, and couldn't be happier. Something about plastic mounts.

Considering that I'm the one currently with the 18-55, I guess I'm doing all right. Why all the hate for the 18-55, though? I've heard that it's actually pretty sharp for a kit lens.
That's like saying that you're pretty nice for a murderer.
There are many other better kit lenses out there. Canon has the 24-105 f/4L for a kit lens and the 15-85 for a kit lens. Heck...Leica has the 35 f/2.5 as a kit lens :D

sell the 18-55mm lens and buy a 50mm f1:1.8g, that's what I did, and couldn't be happier. Something about plastic mounts.
the 35 f/1.8 is way more useful for a D90

Most reactions

New Topics

Back