Whole body focus on self portrait

dy0an

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!:) I hope someone can enlighten me about my dilemma :
First of all, i just got my 5100 last week. So forgive me if my questions will be confusing or stupid or whatever :/Here it is.

I'm having a problem with taking self portraits. I'm selling clothes and its important that i get sharp photos on my body part. I don't include my face, so basically it's just from my neck down to below knees. No matter what kind of settings i use, i always get soft / out of focus shots.I'm using nikon d5100 and just a kit lens 18-55mm. I shoot indoors, with a white blanket as my background. I'm also using the timer , autofocus (wide) and aperture priority. Since i read that a bigger dof can help in making your photos sharper. So, given these settings, i still get soft photos. I tried using a mannequin to properly set the focus on the spot where I'll be standing when taking the shot. Still the same. It's really confusing. How can i make it to focus on the whole body and not just on one / selected spots?!

And im not sure about the aperture thing, I initially thought that the f-stops were just from 3.5 to 5.6, then what do you call the numbers up to 32 when I increase the f-stops? Lets say at focal length 55mm the minimum f-stop is 5.6 right? What do you call the numbers after that? GEEZ IM REALLY SORRY IF YOU ARE CONFUSED WITH THIS ONE. Here's the thing, i initially thought that the only way i can adjust aperture is by rotating (?) my lens. When i zoom out i get the 3.5 and when it's zoomed in i get the 5.6. And that's it! I never thought i could have other f-stops. So, when i am at focal length 55mm, and f/5.6 do you call that the Smallest aperture already? Or i hv to set it to the largest num which i think is 32 ( not sure but u get my point, im just referring to the largest num). So you mean to say that for every focal length there's a small and large apperture? Coz as ive said i thought that for 1 lens there's just 1 small and large apperture which is the 3.5 and 5.6 for this one.

GOING BACK to my main problem, the only way i know for now to make it focused on all my body is to use the built in flash. But this produces a flat image and not the usual slr-quality shot. I know i can opt for external flash and stuffs but if id like to know first if i can achieve my desired result without using flash or buying anything for that matter. If someone here would be kind enough to take time to enlighten me, i would really appreciate it. Sorry again my question above abt the apperture is probably stupid. This post was pretty long sorry :/

Last edited by a moderator:
i recommend you use your enter/return key more often...

otherwise most people wil click the link, look, and say too long, didn't read

dy0an said:
Hello!:) I hope someone can enlighten me about my dilemma : First of all, i just got my 5100 last week. So forgive me if my questions will be confusing or stupid or whatever :/Here it is. I'm having a problem with taking self portraits. I'm selling clothes and its important that i get sharp photos on my body part. I don't include my face, so basically it's just from my neck down to below knees. No matter what kind of settings i use, i always get soft / out of focus shots.I'm using nikon d5100 and just a kit lens 18-55mm. I shoot indoors, with a white blanket as my background. I'm also using the timer and apperture priority. Since i read that a bigger dof can help in making your photos sharper. So, given these settings, i still get soft photos. I tried using a mannequin to properly set the focus on the spot where i'll be standing when taking the shot. Still the same. It's really confusing. How can i make it to focus on the whole body and not just on one / selected spots?! And im not sure about the apperture thing, i initially thought that the f-stops were just from 3.5 to 5.6, then what do you call the numbers up to 32 when i increase the f-stops? Lets say at focal length 55mm the minimum f-stop is 5.6 right? What do you call the numbers after that? GEEZ IM REALLY SORRY IF YOU ARE CONFUSED WITH THIS ONE. Here's the thing, i initially thought that the only way i can adjust apperture is by rotating (?) my lens. When i zoom out i get the 3.5 and when it's zoomed in i get the 5.6. And that's it! I never thought i could have other f-stops. So, when i am at focal length 55mm, and f/5.6 do you call that the smallest apperture already? Or i hv to set it to the largest num which i think is 32 ( not sure but u get my point, im just referring to the largest num). So you mean to say that for every focal length there's a small and large apperture? Coz as ive said i thought that for 1 lens there's just 1 small and large apperture which is the 3.5 and 5.6 for this one. GOING BACK to my main problem, the only way i know for now to make it focused on all my body is to use the built in flash. But this produces a flat image and not the usual slr-quality shot. I know i can opt for external flash and stuffs but if id like to know first if i can achieve my desired result without using flash or buying anything for that matter. If someone here would be kind enough to take time to enlighten me, i would really appreciate it. Sorry again my question above abt the apperture is probably stupid. This post was pretty long sorry :/

If you are in aperture priority you use the dial on the back of the camera to change the aperture. The only thing changing by rotating the lens is the focal length (the aperture does change because that's the largest aperture for that lens). Large aperture = small # = small DOF. small aperture = large # = large DOF. So spin the dial to raise the number up higher to get a sharper, more in focus image. With a larger DOF you should have no problem getting all in focus.

I use live view with the screen rotated towards me and a remote with a slight delay so that I can make sure it's focused on what I want.

What is your setting for focus? Is it on af-a, af-s, af-c? This can play a role since you are substituting something. I would suggest reading your manual - its on the CD that came with your camera.

i recommend you use your enter/return key more often...otherwise most people wil click the link, look, and say too long, didn't read
---- when i typed this i used the enter key and had several paragraphs. However when i submitted the post it came out like this and i cant seem to edit it to make it into several paragraphs. Not sure whats wrong, maybe bec im only using an ipod right now???

It might be a limitation of the ipod/mobile site or it might be the WYSIWYG editor messing things up (I've turned it off for myself even just using the regular site through the computer). For now I've slipped some spaces into the text to help out.

If you are in aperture priority you use the dial on the back of the camera to change the aperture. The only thing changing by rotating the lens is the focal length (the aperture does change because that's the largest aperture for that lens). Large aperture = small # = small DOF. small aperture = large # = large DOF. So spin the dial to raise the number up higher to get a sharper, more in focus image. With a larger DOF you should have no problem getting all in focus. I use live view with the screen rotated towards me and a remote with a slight delay so that I can make sure it's focused on what I want. What is your setting for focus? Is it on af-a, af-s, af-c? This can play a role since you are substituting something. I would suggest reading your manual - its on the CD that came with your camera.
AWESOME!! thank you very much for your explanation abt the aperture and dof now it totally makes sense!!:)Im using af-a sorry forgot to add that (edited my post already)Ive read the manual as well but its not enough :( And i couldnt rely on the live view since im taking a whole body shot, the cam is pretty far from where i am. --- SHOULD I use manual focus to make it focus on my whole body and not on selected spots???

It might be a limitation of the ipod/mobile site or it might be the WYSIWYG editor messing things up (I've turned it off for myself even just using the regular site through the computer). For now I've slipped some spaces into the text to help out.
Thank you thank you thank you so much for your help! :)

dy0an said:
AWESOME!! thank you very much for your explanation abt the aperture and dof now it totally makes sense!!:)Im using af-a sorry forgot to add that (edited my post already)Ive read the manual as well but its not enough :( And i couldnt rely on the live view since im taking a whole body shot, the cam is pretty far from where i am. --- SHOULD I use manual focus to make it focus on my whole body and not on selected spots???

You could manual focus - if you do I think you can use the rangefinder mode to show you when you have focus. But, with a larger DOF if shouldn't be a problem at all. Try f/8 or f/11 and see what happens. Also, try changing it to af-s that way you pick exactly where you want it to focus. On af-a it switches between af-s and af-c depending on movement so you might be confusing focus by moving into the frame.

The rangefinder mode is in the menu on the camera but to find out how it works open your manual up on the computer and search for it-might be pg 76 or 96. I just looked it up but can't remember exact page number. It won't be in the paper manual you got with the camera.

Also take your camera off auto ISO if you haven't already!

You could manual focus - if you do I think you can use the rangefinder mode to show you when you have focus. But, with a larger DOF if shouldn't be a problem at all. Try f/8 or f/11 and see what happens. Also, try changing it to af-s that way you pick exactly where you want it to focus. On af-a it switches between af-s and af-c depending on movement so you might be confusing focus by moving into the frame.The rangefinder mode is in the menu on the camera but to find out how it works open your manual up on the computer and search for it-might be pg 76 or 96. I just looked it up but can't remember exact page number. It won't be in the paper manual you got with the camera. Also take your camera off auto ISO if you haven't already!
Okay im kinda lost, i only got 1 cd which is an installer for a software to use in transferring photos. Is this where im gonna find the manual youre talking abt? Af-s, noted:) is it ok if ill set it at 18mm then f8 or 11? I like to use iso 100 but when its set to aperture priority i use around 640-1200

dy0an said:
Okay im kinda lost, i only got 1 cd which is an installer for a software to use in transferring photos. Is this where im gonna find the manual youre talking abt? Af-s, noted:) is it ok if ill set it at 18mm then f8 or 11? I like to use iso 100 but when its set to aperture priority i use around 640-1200

There should have been 2 CDs. How big is your paper manual? The manual on the CD is around 300 pages, give or take a few. The manual will explain pretty much everything. You can go to the Nikon website and download it.

I would still use ISO 100 on aperture priority unless you need to raise it. Higher ISO's can create a grainy image if its not properly exposed. So if you can't get a higher shutter speed or smaller aperture then you would slowly start raising your ISO.

I would still use ISO 100 on aperture priority unless you need to raise it. Higher ISO's can create a grainy image if its not properly exposed. So if you can't get a higher shutter speed or smaller aperture then you would slowly start raising your ISO.
Oh i remember i was playing around f/18-22 thats why i used higher iso. Once again thank you so much! Ill look into that link you gave and try out your suggestions. i'll updte this thread after a few hours, hope by then you're still here teehee. Thanks thanks!!:)

Oh i remember i was playing around f/18-22 thats why i used higher iso. Once again thank you so much! Ill look into that link you gave and try out your suggestions. i'll updte this thread after a few hours, hope by then you're still here teehee. Thanks thanks!!:)

Shoot me a message if you have more questions. I may not be around since its already 1:30am my time. I'll probably be up for 2 more hours!

Mark Wallace has a good video on self portraits. There may be some good info in it for you (talks about aperture settings).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dy0an,

the 18-55 3.5-5.6 means this: The lens can go from a wide 18mm to a 55mm range. The widest aperture (lowest number) it can go at 18mm is 3.5 and the widest aperture it can go at 55mm is 5.6 you can go up to F32 at 18 all the way up to 55mm. It is the speed of the lens. The lower f-stop it can go, the more expensive the lens :)

Ok, so, set the camera at aperture priority. Try F16. Even though you can go up to F32 with that lens if you go to the extreme you get distortion and focus problems. F8 - F16 seems to be the sweet spots for that lens. F16 will give you lots of detail. Set the ISO to 100. the lower the ISO the less noise so start at the lowest first. Ok, point the camera at the mannequin. What is the camera choosing as the shutter speed? You want 1/60th or higher so you won't have motion blur. If it is too low, bump up the ISO to 200 and see what happens. Focus on the mannequin then set the timer and stand where the mannequin was.

This should help a bit with the camera and lens you have. and post a few here so we can see how they turned out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back