Whow ! Lots of new Zeiss Lenses !

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I can't see myself paying that much for a manual focus lens.

no AF, no care.

Why yes, no autofocus is a bummer, but no surprise whatsoever.

But theres now the Zeiss Batis line for Autofocus with Zeiss. We'll see how that one develops.

Especially I'm curious if now that Zeiss is avaiable with autofocus on Sony FE, Canon and Nikon will budge and allow Zeiss to built autofocus lenses for Canon EF and Nikon F ?

Alternatively I would be very, very happy if Nikon started supporting manual focusing better. That would even be great to have with autofocus lenses, for better focus confirmation.

Btw I really wonder if Zeiss has fixed the short focus throw of the Makro-Planar 2.0/50mm that Ming Thein keeps complaining about. Or kept complaining about, considering he uses the Otus 55mm instead now.

More links:

Original Zeiss Page about Milvus:
Milvus 2.8/21 | ZEISS International

Apparently this is the press statement:
New ZEISS SLR Lens Family for ZE and ZF.2 Mounts
The new lenses are the ZEISS answer to the current trend toward sensors with increasingly high resolution which, in turn, require higher and higher image quality.
Another hint these are new optical formulas, not just old lenses in new clothing. Guess the old lenses are really outdated now.

For the user, they open up the field of professional video and cine applications.

Wait, wait, wait !

PROFESSIONAL video and even cine ?

This hints that these lenses have no or little focus breathing (change in focal length when focus changes) and no focus shift (change in focus when aperture changes). The de-clickable aperture ring was already a hint about video useability.

For cine lenses, these would be real bargains. Cheap as dirt, so to speak.

Then again, the original Zeiss page above does NOT mention anything like that.

All ZEISS Milvus lenses have a Floating Elements Design which compensates for aberrations at different distance settings.
Apparently that just means lens performance is supposed to be constant no matter the focus distance.

Zeiss announces Milvus - new line of full frame, manual focus lenses for Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras | Photo Rumors

New Zeiss Milvus Lenses Announced, Price $1,117-1,843, Available for Pre-order

Zeiss Milvus Lenses Sample Images

(But that requires a Yahoo account to see original resolution. Wtf I'm not tolerating that, why should Yahoo be allowed to track me)

...apparently no news about the Otus 25mm yet. *stays impatient*

This series deserved a cooler name, like...oh, I dunno...something really COOL, like maybe Zeiss Edsel....

Yes. But would you even want to if you could ? I wouldnt because with manual focus only they are not good for fast reaction photography.

Ming Thein comment on the Milvus line: A visit to Zeiss and thoughts on the Milvus line

Still no news about any new Otus, though Ming Theins article mentions that one too.

Yes. But would you even want to if you could ? I wouldnt because with manual focus only they are not good for fast reaction photography.

Ming Thein comment on the Milvus line: A visit to Zeiss and thoughts on the Milvus line

Still no news about any new Otus, though Ming Theins article mentions that one too.
Rubbish all my lenses are manual focus and on the street I can get the shot before any dslr

Yeah sorry but I dont shoot street, I dont shoot daily, and I dont manage that.

Yeah... a bit steep for me. I've considered a 21mm zeiss for landscapes.. but can't see it being worth the exorbitant price. At that price, I'd rather get a tilt/shift.

Jake

[QUOTE"] Ming Thein comment on the Milvus line: A visit to Zeiss and thoughts on the Milvus line.[/QUOTE]
The folks at Zeiss sure got a LOT of free publicity for their royal treatment of Thein during his visit to their factory!

This video is how I think of Thein behaving during his extravagantly lavish tour of the Zeiss factory, complete with as he mentioned, mass quantities of non-alcoholic beer varieties. What a way to get free fabulous publicity...invite Ming Thein and stroke his ego, massively...

NSFW language!!! NSFW language!!!

NSFW language!!! NSFW language!!!

Most reactions

Back