Why a 50mm Lens is your new Best Friend

JamesScott86

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Nifty Fifty - a great lens for any photographer, but particularly so for someone that wants to make a good addition to their collection of glass.

But what makes a 50mm lens such a great option? Let’s find out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years I've collected quite a few 50's. Great lenses but I really don't need another one, unless someone is willing to trade four f1.7s & a f1.4 for a f1.2. I'll even throw in the Minolta 50mm macro & two 55mm 1.8s :)

50 is my least favorite focal length.

I prefer 85mm. Though I did really like my 180mm f2.8

50mm might be great on full frame but I find that it's in between where I want to be, more often than not on a crop body.

I have 28mm f1.8, 16-35mm f4 VR, 70-200mm f4 VR.

I also had a 50mm f1.8, but I got rid of it, because I never used it anymore and IMHO it was optically less than great.

That low price of 50mm is no accident. They dont put much effort into them, either.

The new Tamron 45mm f1.8 VC seems to be good, as are the Voigtländer "Nocton" 58mm f1.4 (SL-II "N") and the Zeiss "Planar" 50mm f1.4 ("ZF.2" for Nikon, "ZE" for Canon).

Currently, I use the SMC Pentax 50mm 1.7 on my K1000, super sharp and contrasty. Really the only lens I need for it, based on how I use it. It is way better than my Canon 50mm 1.8 on the T70.

The Nifty Fifty - a great lens for any photographer, but particularly so for someone that wants to make a good addition to their collection of glass.

But what makes a 50mm lens such a great option? Let’s find out!

7 Reasons Why You Positively Need to Have a 50mm Lens

8 Reasons You Should Buy a 50mm f/1.8 Lens

Why a 50mm Lens is your new Best Friend - Digital Photography School

Those are some dangerous scripts running in the background on link#2. I hope people running windows are protected because they are some damaging scripts... just saying.

50mm might be great on full frame but I find that it's in between where I want to be, more often than not on a crop body.

Exactly my problem, not wide or tight enough to be interesting.

Exactly my problem, not wide or tight enough to be interesting.
I kind of agree. I prefer the 35mm on my D3300.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think is a great lens but the focal length on crop body is to tight In many situations.I think the 35mm is a better all around walk around lens.I found more often I can get closer more easily with the 35mm then back up to get what I want with the 50mm

I think is a great lens but the focal length on crop body is to tight In many situations.I think the 35mm is a better all around walk around lens.I found more often I can get closer more easily with the 35mm then back up to get what I want with the 50mm
I see and feel the same thing on my D3300. I don't get why it feels different on a film camera though.

I am going to try a Ricoh P 50mm f2 on my K1000. I have a minty copy of it I just found in a box, forgot all about it. I think I picked it up years ago to replace a SMC 50mm f2 but never used it. Reading the reviews on the Pentax site rated it a 10 for sharpness. Can't believe it's better than the 1.7, probably won't be able to tell even if it's a good copy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I love my Pentax 50mm f1.7. I've been learning to appreciate the 28mm focal length as well, but 50mm still seems to be my default. It suits my shooting style at the moment.

People who bad mouth 50's are generally people with a lot of lead below the belt. ;) You occasionally have to move your feet to get the shot with a 50!

I love my Pentax 50mm f1.7. I've been learning to appreciate the 28mm focal length as well, but 50mm still seems to be my default. It suits my shooting style at the moment.

Have you ever tried the Ricoh P 50mm f2? I can't remember for the life of me why I picked that up? It was in a shoe box (inside a moving tub marked personal paperwork) from the 80's with baseball cards, miscellaneous fun stuff I thought was lost long ago. Maybe it was real cheap or something. I was surprised about all the rave reviews. Also, the Pentax 1.7 blows away that SMC Pentax M 50mm 1:2, not even close.

Most reactions

Back