Why A UV Filter Lens For A DSLR Camera?

Despite my reasons in the above quotes, I have been in the quest for better pictures; I was seeing something missing in my photos by just looking at pictures taken by other photographers. So, I explored what a polarizer lens could do to my own photos. And this did not disappoint me. The only difference a polarizer could do to your photographs is make them darker in low-light conditions. It is still a good practice to have a filter lens on your camera in all lighting situations. And, your pictures taken with a polarizer lens will be easier to edit than the ones without. Also, the problem of darker photos with a filter lens in low-light conditions can always be resolved by a flash.

Hello, please no offense intended. To benefit future readers, I placed bold font on the misinformation in your post.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I surely appreciate the facts and opinions expressed in here in particular are the effects an extra element in front of the lens will cause on picture quality and the habits of people resulting in the prevalence of the UV features on filter lenses in the market. Indeed, different strokes for different folks. I have three types of filter lenses but most likely I would use the graduated filter only for landscape photography. I apologize to some of you but I tend to gravitate to not using a filter on my lens for picture quality reasons especially in low-light conditions; in this situation you might have to remove the filter lens. Regardless, more responses are welcome.
Despite my reasons in the above quotes, I have been in the quest for better pictures; I was seeing something missing in my photos by just looking at pictures taken by other photographers. So, I explored what a polarizer lens could do to my own photos. And this did not disappoint me. The only difference a polarizer could do to your photographs is make them darker in low-light conditions. It is still a good practice to have a filter lens on your camera in all lighting situations. And, your pictures taken with a polarizer lens will be easier to edit than the ones without. Also, the problem of darker photos with a filter lens in low-light conditions can always be resolved by a flash.
A polarizor blocks a certain amount of light when at certain angles.

The primary benefit is the increase in overall contrast, and can be useful for various specific shots.
A UV filter in the film days had the benefit of reducing the haze (scattered blue light from dust) that dropped contrast and made images dull.

The filters in from of sensors are set up in a way where the UV filter on the front of the lens is almost useless except for some drop in haze that I have seen on some pictures.
Using a polarizor can drop a small amount of the overall light coming in causing a longer exposure, and thus increasing other characteristics of the image. But again is limited.

Easier to edit I am not so sure about except popping contrast up front and lowering the post processing a bit.

Personally I am the type to put on colored filters in front of my digital and shoot monochrome. thus making a more "realistic" (notice parenthesize) monochrome image that allows for old school contrast.

But it is personal choice.

Despite my reasons in the above quotes, I have been on a quest for better pictures; I was seeing something missing in my photos by just looking at pictures taken by other photographers. So, I explored what a polarizer lens could do to my own photos. And this did not disappoint me. The only difference a polarizer could do to your photographs is make them darker in low-light conditions. It is still a good practice to have a filter lens on your camera in all lighting situations. And, your pictures taken with a polarizer lens will be easier to edit than the ones without. Also, the problem of darker photos with a filter lens in low-light conditions can always be resolved by a flash.

[/QUOTE=zulu42]Hello, please no offense intended. To benefit future readers, I placed bold font on the misinformation in your post.
No problem, zulu42, it's okay.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back