Why A UV Filter Lens For A DSLR Camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Bluester, Feb 5, 2019.

1. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you strip the magnetic media out from the diskettes you can use it as an IR filter - possibly more useful than a UV filter :)

2. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    If the front element gets destroyed, it can be repaired costing about twice a top quality UV filter.
    There is some evidence suggesting impact damage to the front element is MORE likely with a filter. Filters are brittle & hard enough to damage glass elements.

If using a lens in an environment with salt spray or similar a removable protective layer can be a benefit. With a long telephoto a top quality filter will be needed to avoid degradation, but for most lenses a cheap filter won't be too noticeable in what for most people are relatively rare occasions.

3. Bluester

Bluester TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Despite my reasons in the above quotes, I have been on a quest for better pictures; I was seeing something missing in my photos by just looking at pictures taken by other photographers. So, I explored what a polarizer lens could do to my own photos. And this did not disappoint me. The only difference a polarizer could do to your photographs is make them darker in low-light conditions. It is still a good practice to have a filter lens on your camera in all lighting situations. And, your pictures taken with a polarizer lens will be easier to edit than the ones without. Also, the problem of darker photos with a filter lens in low-light conditions can always be resolved by a flash.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Hello, please no offense intended. To benefit future readers, I placed bold font on the misinformation in your post.

5. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A polarizor blocks a certain amount of light when at certain angles.

The primary benefit is the increase in overall contrast, and can be useful for various specific shots.
    A UV filter in the film days had the benefit of reducing the haze (scattered blue light from dust) that dropped contrast and made images dull.

The filters in from of sensors are set up in a way where the UV filter on the front of the lens is almost useless except for some drop in haze that I have seen on some pictures.
    Using a polarizor can drop a small amount of the overall light coming in causing a longer exposure, and thus increasing other characteristics of the image. But again is limited.

Easier to edit I am not so sure about except popping contrast up front and lowering the post processing a bit.

Personally I am the type to put on colored filters in front of my digital and shoot monochrome. thus making a more "realistic" (notice parenthesize) monochrome image that allows for old school contrast.

But it is personal choice.

6. Bluester

Bluester TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No problem, zulu42, it's okay.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Because no one can have too many beer coasters.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 4:38 AM