Why are photographers treated with distrust?

I had considered wearing a suit and tie to some places, just to come accross as professional.

That might stand out even more; just dress casual, but professional. Depending on the situation, my outfit ranges from what's considered a hunting-guide style shirt (big pockets and lots of them are your friends when you're burning through film and/or batteries) to a typical button-down dress shirt, all worn with black slacks and my Coronado Safari vest-of-many-pockets. The matching leather fedora may or may not stay in the car. (If I'm using flash or shooting portrait much it gets in the way.) I avoid T-shirts, jeans, and anything else that says "I'm just some random slacker screwing around with a camera."

I carry enough ID as it is that I'm covered for most stuff, and since three of the IDs require moderate-to-intense background checks, anybody that recognises them tends to take my word for it that I'm not a terrorist. My guard card turns any encounter with a security guard into a BS session about stupid policies. Otherwise, I've got the ARES and GDEM/RACES IDs; at worst, I just point out to them that we sometimes need photos in planning and training sessions. Failing that, the CHL seems to pacify most cops.

Besides, after a couple of those are out and verified I think some of them decide that no matter what they can come up with, I'll dig around and find an ID to show for it like the Middleman :mrgreen:

This is why I shoot mostly nature. :)

I've had the police called on me before for having my wildlife lens in a city park. Another time, A local fireman called me "some creepy guy", I over heard him telling his supervisor I was in his (the supervisors) yard taking pictures of his house....I had my back to the house and my glass pointed into the tree.

My 400mm lens just seemed to have pervert written all over it, I get bothered less walking around dark alleys with my camera at night than I do shooting birds in the daylight. Shooting mostly nature won't be anyones saving grace, the idiots will find you, and suspect you.

I avoid T-shirts, jeans, and anything else that says "I'm just some random slacker screwing around with a camera."
Ha ha! I guess I must be just "some random slacker" since I don't own anything but t-shirts and jeans :lmao:. Working in a manufacturing plant, you don't bother with spending much on cloths.

My entire wardrobe probably costs as much as many people spend on a single shirt and pair of pants, LOL.

I need to try to stand out more so I can get more stories. I always find these types of interactions fun. :lol: Maybe I should get a 400mm prime. :)

I avoid T-shirts, jeans, and anything else that says "I'm just some random slacker screwing around with a camera."

If there are "terrorists" out there doing this crap (of which I really have my doubts, because there are a million better ways to recon an area than by camera), they would logically consider this and change apparel, but I highly doubt any terrorist would go around wearing a colourful t-shirt with his name on it stating that he is not a terrorist. That would be the ultimate mindf**k if they did, though. :lol:

What you wear doesn't define your social, political or financial status. A couple of the richest men I know (true multimillionaires) wear socks or jeans with holes in them when they are at home or in a relaxed environment. I sure do not want to wear a suit and tie (my normal daily wear in my profession) when I am out shooting. It's comfy and loose jeans and t-shirts for me most of the time.

Besides, we all know that ties are only good for 2 things... something to use to hold on to in a fight, and something to use to hang yourself with.

I need to try to stand out more so I can get more stories. I always find these types of interactions fun. :lol: Maybe I should get a 400mm prime. :)

T-shirts with stupid sayings on them are just as effective and cheaper... lol

Ha ha! I guess I must be just "some random slacker" since I don't own anything but t-shirts and jeans :lmao:. Working in a manufacturing plant, you don't bother with spending much on cloths.

Funny, I've worked in four manufacturing plants, a truck stop, and as a field service tech in both manufacturing plants and feedlots, and I always managed to have a few sets of presentable clothes. Of course, one of the first things I learned in that environment is that Dickies shirts outlast T-shirts by a huge margin, and their pants have a lot more pocket space than jeans.

I really must say it....I really don't think that is the kind of attention you want, I would much prefer being called a terrorist.

everyones jealous of our coolness 8

Most reactions

Back