Why aren't there more posts here for HDR? Newbie question

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems HDR is growing to the masses, so why few photos here? Are people posting them in other areas as 'regular' photos? Curious. Just ordered HDRSoft program, but not looking to over cook anything. Just need help with (a lot) with shadows, and more..
my first attempt at will be at HDR when I get software soon.
Some really wonderful photos have been posted here, look forward to more.
Nancy

Some HDR is wonderful... but most is way overprocessed. It can be nice... or it can be very, very ugly! We get too much of the latter, and not enough of the first.

There was an uprising of HDR enthusiasts here some time back. It bordered on a revolt. :lol: They all left. :)

In my opinion, the more obvious HDR treatments have mostly seen their day. Sure, people can still churn out heavily tone mapped images, but not as many people appreciate them as before. When that 'look' was newer, it had a certain amount of novelty. Viewers have become more discerning, and now dismiss most of the obvious stuff. I think that's as it should be, with HDR being a tool in the box rather than the main element.

HDRs are very useful as a tool for the occasional picture, however...

CBRE%20-%20One%20Alewife%20-%20052%20-%20hdr.jpg

Salem%20Courthouse%20and%20Library%20-%20019%20TrueSight%20-%20rev2.jpg

Some people here will say "Oh, Chris is dragging THOSE out again."

Well, yes, and that's because I have about 3-4 HDRs... as in, in my ENTIRE life as a photographer, I've found it suitable to take maybe half a dozen HDRs, of which I find these two to be the prime examples of what you can do with them while not making them look like bizarro world.

The first most aptly demonstrates balancing serious light issues, where the windows would be blown out or the lobby pitch black without HDR. The second demonstrates how you can draw out the true richness and dynamic range of color of the scene - something you couldn't really have done with a standard shot. (well, and the light thing- but less so in this shot than in the prior)

Thank you. I am looking for the more natural look. I am looking forward to moving forward in my learning.
thanks all!
Nancy

I agree, HDR is indispensable for some types of shooting... Three different reasons to use HDR below...

this was a very dark room!

Antlers Lobby HDR by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

And this was a very dark and stormy night

Belize Resort Pool Nighttime Long Exposure by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

And this had a very bright background.... and a dark foreground. Even with ND's and GND's, HDR helped bring out the foreground better

Sunrise at Roberts Grove Beach Resort Long Exposure HDR by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

Viewers have become more discerning, and now dismiss most of the obvious stuff. I think that's as it should be, with HDR being a tool in the box rather than the main element.

Yep. HDR has always been a way to increase dynamic range in order to make a shot look more natural. I'm not disparaging the more extreme examples, but I don't care for them, myself. I have had people tell me "that doesn't even look HDR!" and become nonplussed when I take it as a complement.

The notion that extended dynamic range looks "unreal" comes from those who are accustomed to the more conventional unreality of LDR shots.
$9322839782_7a892e6d26_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7446/9322839782_155e58306b_h.jpg
This was done to avoid a blown-out sky, as to emphasize texture in the water and rock.

Last edited:
The HDR subforum is mostly dead nowadays. There was a number of us (myself included) but it's dropped off.

It probably doesn't help that 90% of the threads turned into "you don't need HDR to get that shot" or "you can't make an HDR from one exposure" threads... which is totally accurate... but probably frustrating for people trying to shoot an HDR... of their cat... sitting in the grass... in the sun.

It probably doesn't help that 90% of the threads turned into "you don't need HDR to get that shot" or "you can't make an HDR from one exposure" threads... which is totally accurate... but probably frustrating for people trying to shoot an HDR... of their cat... sitting in the grass... in the sun.

Not to mention that an old regular (Bynx) was banned... and the WAY overprocessed HDR types that caused it, didn't stick around. Kind of took the fun out of that forum!

A group of big meanies ran the HDR people away. :(

Most reactions

Back