Why buy a Mac?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Mrsforeman1, Dec 10, 2007.

1. usayit

usayit TPF Noob!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Garbz.. from my experience... Mac OS X is way more stable than Windows of any release.

But yeh... I mentioned up there that you have to protect your machine from virus no matter what platform you choose for the exact reasons you posted.

BUT there are a lot of UNIX'ism aspects that help MAC OS X

How many Windows users out there are running on an Administrator level account on a daily basis?

How many Mac OS X users are logging in as "root" on a daily basis?

Funny... the windows support at work is slowly becoming more Linux oriented with Mac users sprinkled in...

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

I'm fortunate to be able to currently work on a quad-processor G5 with 2 gigs of ram on each processor. I've post-processed images upwards of 10 gigs :drool:

3. Reel1

Reel1 TPF Noob!

I have been using macs for about a year now. The right click button works perfectly, and no there is no need for pushing any extra buttons.

4. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

macs remind me of communism... in soviet russia, you dont OWN the mac, mac owns YOU!

5. Allsmiles7282

Allsmiles7282 TPF Noob!

When my hubby and I got married, his PC had crapped out on him, while my mac of 5 years was still going strong. About a month after we got married he dropped my iBook and cracked the screen. So when deciding on a new computer there was much debate. My hubby plays games online that are on PC and all my photography programs and my very way of life was on a Mac. What to do? We bought an iMac partioned part of our hard drive off for windows and left the rest for mac. We can run both OS and they both run smoothly. I really feel like it is the best of both worlds.

However, I must mention that my hubby now only goes on the PC side for games and for no other reason and we have since bought a PowerBook because we both love Mac so much.

Plus they never crash. ever.

MAC ALL THE WAY!

6. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

I have two things to say to this
    1) GIMP may not be quite as good as Photoshop but it does everything an amateur would want it to and more.
    2) While 95% of the desktop market is Windows based operating systems over 50% of of the server market is *nix based operating systems. Most people want to hack servers not someones desktop computer (at least the ones that can really hack). (my numbers might be off by a tad Apache doesn't only run on Linux) but Windows based servers have about a 36% market share and Apache has about 50%)

7. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Wine works fine for photoshop. I running it right now with Gutsy Gibbon.

8. RyanLilly

RyanLilly TPF Noob!

Nice!

I was very happy to see Mac come out with a quad processor mac with the G5, the last quad before it was a Motorola 603, or 604, now that I think about it, Im not sure that It was even Apple, I think It was a clone, DayStar, or something.

9. usayit

usayit TPF Noob!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Um... if anything Windows is less forgiving less flexible than Mac... In a mix UNIX and Windows production environment, Mac plays better in the sand box right out of the box.

10. Zatodragon

Zatodragon TPF Noob!

That's always a tough debate. I've always like to think of it as mac is a simplified machine. Your not gonna tweak a mac very much, just kinda use it as it's given to you.

For me, i didn't like the mac so much since i'm very fluent in XP and have a crash maybe....once a year? And it's because i did something out of it's capabilities. But i build my own pc's up.

For a lot of other people, mac does well for them. For me, i can do way more work on a PC than a mac.

11. forceofnature

forceofnature TPF Noob!

If Mac has gone Unix I may just get one. There may be hope for mac afterall. Only problem is they are the minority especially in big business.

I just like building my own PC so that may become an issue. When I can get better components and install them myself for about 3K less than the mac pro its a little bit of a hard spot.

I priced up a mac pro with my requirements and it was over 5K. A PC with the best video card, memory, quad processor, and mother board was below 2K.

Now all I need is for the family PC to die which it already is doing. The capacitors are leaking and it has become unstable.

I still have always wanted a mac since heck 1989. I was also impressed with the amiga at that time. Its too bad that amiga died, that computer had promise, even more so than a mac.

I am crossing my fingers that the PC dies a hard death soon. I already backed up my photos and documents. LOL Maybe I can help it on its way.... dont tell the wife....

12. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

I still have my Amiga 128 and my commodore 64!