Why buy a Mac?

I'm not sure what Microsoft telephone customer support for Windows is like because I haven't had to phone them for at least ten years, but I can say for sure that Apple telephone support is good. Only last weekend I spent four hours on the phone to them about problems with a brand new Macbook running Leopard. They didn't solve any of the three problems but they did try hard, and I look forward to having another little chat with them in the very near future. They are really friendly guys. Useless, but cool. Thank goodness my Macbook runs Windows fairly well.

Best,
Helen

you gotta admit though.... it DOES pretty much hit the nail on the head...

I guess since I don't watch tv I'm not subjected to these anti pc mac ads. I just bought one because they are the only computer used in the multimedia department at my college. I figured they must be good if thats all they use. I bought mine and couldn't be happier. The whole anti mac/pc thing is pretty lame. There both computers. They do the same thing. I don't see how anyone could hate one and love another.

for me, its more of a jealousy thing... I can afford a pc with the features i want. i cant afford a mac with those same specs. so i just bought a HP laptop, and its really great. If someone wanted to give me a mac, i wouldnt refuse it, i think overall i'm happier with my pc just because I personally can justify what i spent on it, where with a mac, i think i'd feel a little guilty about paying about twice as much for a computer that was the same as mine, but with a different OS.... and i've never had a problem with my PC "just working"

Yeah the price difference is rough. I managed to pay for mine with financial aid. I don't think I would have bought it if I wasn't able to offset the price. I could have got a comparable dell or hp for $500 less. Although now I like it so much I think my next desktop will be a Mac as well.

Also I'm not big techie and I find it's easier for me to maintain and navigate the OS then in Windows. I get a lot more out of my Mac than I did my dell. I think it's because the OS is more transparent? Easier to understand where all the files are stored and how things are set up. But hey thats me.

yeah, i feel the opposite right now. I've been a windows user ever since we got our first computer so I know it so well that i can usually do most things without thinking. I dont know how everyone else is, but i would consider myself proficient at computers so when something does go wrong, i usually figure it out myself. I dont know if macs are more geared towards people who lack that level of proficiency or not, but i feel like at least at the level I'm at, it cant really get much easier to do things with my computer....

I still build and upgrade my own machines, can't do that with a Mac. If OS X were ported to the PC, I might would use it. OTOH, our Win2000Pro server has run flawlessly for 8 years, our 2000, & XP machines do as well. I can't say I care for Vista at all. Seems like a memory hog and is buggy. If the new laptop had not come with it installed, I'd be a much happier camper.

i agree , vista is slow and takes a lot of memory, but i'd still take it over XP just because i like the new visual style of it. I dont do a lot of hard core computing anyway so usually its not really a problem

On the Vista laptop I found all the bells and whistles a distraction. I like a plain black wallpaper without the zooming windows and crap. So I've turned all that off. I just want a machine that does what I want it to, and they all do but Vista. But to be honest, I delayed going to xp about 3 years so Mr. Softy could iron the bugs away. Should have done the same with this laptop.

if someone needs to ask why..I would have to say...
You don't need one.

Most reactions

Back